1 watcher
OJ
Dec 2012
10:16am, 6 Dec 2012
92 posts
  •  
OJ
Hi,

I've just bought a pair of studs (La Sportiva Crosslite XC from Pete Bland http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/products/la-sportiva-crosslite-xc-sale.htm) but can't quite decide if I like the fit and feel. Any tips for how they should feel - without resorting to taking them out onto a muddy field?

The background is that I have been wearing spikes for XC and really like the light up-on-the-toes feel BUT keep breaking the spikes (not just the metal spikes, the soles have broken on two pairs now where the spikes have ripped out) so I thought I'd go for studs instead that would also open up some trail running possibilities.

The studs feel big and chunky compared to spikes, I expected them to be lighter I guess. And they have a bit of room around the toes. Not a bad thing in trainers usually, but not what I expect in spikes (but then I have some nasty toenails to show for XC exploits). I'm a light-ish ( < 9st) female so the chunkiness of shoes does feel a wee bit significant.

Oh for a treadmill at home....
Dec 2012
8:14am, 7 Dec 2012
2,060 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
bump
Dec 2012
8:39am, 7 Dec 2012
20,033 posts
  •  
Dave A
I think you answred the question in your 1st paragraph. Take them for a run up an down a few muddy hills and see how they feel then.
Dec 2012
9:27am, 7 Dec 2012
14,333 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I suppose you are considering returning them and wont be able to if you have funked them up.
My studded Wave Harriers feel like slippers with grippers. Light and floaty.

I wonder if you are used to spikes, you night be better with something more minimal, like the x-talons?
OJ
Dec 2012
10:05pm, 7 Dec 2012
93 posts
  •  
OJ
Thanks for the replies (and the bump!)

Yup, I am considering returning them if they're not right - or I would try them in mud! I did partly wonder whether it was okay to have a couple of cms room at the front or whether this is going to be a liability in cross country. (I've got my usual size but these are unisex shoes so could be a bit bigger I guess)

Thanks for the x-talon recommendation JohnnyO. I've just taken a look. Online they don't look much more minimal than the La Sportivas, but perhaps the difference is in the sole flexibility. I'll try to find a pair to look at...

Hmmmmm, if we get another snowy, slushy winter perhaps I can justify keeping them for that purpose anyway...right?
Dec 2012
10:37pm, 7 Dec 2012
14,349 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
el Bee told me that its the flex rather than the weight that determines how they fee for trail shoes.

X-talons are very light,, there are also 'Bare Grips' from inov-8. Both a bit minimal for me, but people who like them tend to love them.
I have never worn spikes, but I would imagine they feel similar- completely flat with no cushioning.

Good luck!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by OJ
Hi,

I've just bought a pair of studs (La Sportiva Crosslite XC from Pete Bland http://www.petebl...