Starting again (sort of)

6 watchers
Mar 2012
11:42am, 20 Mar 2012
3,194 posts
  •  
Jambomo
I was going to say Hal Higdon as well - his are good and he always says you can alter them to suit! I was looking at his half plan and he has a novice 2 as well as an intermediate plan so you can see what you feel you can do more
Mar 2012
12:09pm, 20 Mar 2012
2,458 posts
  •  
sallykate
Ooh ta I'll take a look! I'd always thought of Hal as mara only & his plans didn't suit me for that
Apr 2015
2:52pm, 10 Apr 2015
1,777 posts
  •  
Cyclops
I need this thread. Having been given the all clear to run again from the physio after tearing a calf muscle I've got to get back into my stride again running wise. Any hints and tips from other previously injured Fetchies out there? I am aiming to run a mile tomorrow as my first target!
Apr 2015
3:09pm, 10 Apr 2015
1,172 posts
  •  
EarlyRiser
Hi Sallykate. I'm back running again from a very long break and also going for shorter distances. I use park-run as a training corner-stone (short quick tempo) and build around that. I get in a lot of easy running in total (with dog and just generally running around) but without a weekly long run. Which I think is a lot of effort for not enough gain and hinders recovery in rest of the week. I make up three quality workouts by adding in an interval session and a hill-session (not all from the outset, I built up to this over a few months.)

I don't know any off-the-peg plans like this, but basically it's a polarized approach. i.e. lots of low intensity running plus a relatively high proportion of high-intensity and not much 'in the middle'. Check out the polarized thread on Fetch and search online, there may be plans taking this approach. It's a newish idea, but recent evidence gives it weight. Canute on here is a big advocate also.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
I'm looking for some advice for my training post-VLM.

I've been running for about 4 years but h...