Shoe question - racers for an over pronator

3 watchers
Mar 2012
6:57pm, 12 Mar 2012
2,954 posts
  •  
SouthendAl
Help please:

I have stupid feet, over pronate like a loon. I currently run everything in my trusty Mizuno Wave Alchemy, I've also tried Brooks Beast (feel like bricks) and Asics Gel Foundation (all right but wore them out very quickly).

The question is, is there any benefit in getting some lighter, racer type shoes for shorter races? Am I going to cripple myself? Will I gain any speed benefit over shorter distances? And I can't really justify buying a pair just to give it a whirl.

As an aside, why are all the shoes for over pronators sooo boring? I'd quite like to own a pair of shoes which are non white (admittedly with a splash of colour on them)! Maybe a nice orange, or flouro or multi coloured. Just not boring white!
Mar 2012
7:01pm, 12 Mar 2012
12,613 posts
  •  
Chromey
I over pronate and run in saucony fastwitches. My fizz wanted me to wear ready made inserts which cost £25. They're light and do the trick but blistered my feet to buggery. Your feet might not be as stupid.
Mar 2012
7:04pm, 12 Mar 2012
3,170 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Something like Adidas Tempos might do, but they may not be lighter. You could try switching to Wave Inspires. Having 'race shoes' on helps the brain get into the right frame of mind, but may not help the speed.
Mar 2012
7:10pm, 12 Mar 2012
2,955 posts
  •  
SouthendAl
What were the ready made Chromey?
Mar 2012
10:47pm, 12 Mar 2012
1,173 posts
  •  
MikeR.
I over pronate and found any cushioned she breaks down(put them on the floor and the lean inward) and give me ITBS after about 300miles so it was getting to expensive, then i thought minimalist shoes dont have anything to break down. get about 650 miles out of apair of inov8 f-lites. on merrell trail glovesat the moment 450miles in and still going strong
Mar 2012
10:52pm, 12 Mar 2012
12,614 posts
  •  
Chromey
My shoes inserts. Not ten grand tailor made ones which they try to flog you. Generic ones which you can buy.
Mar 2012
6:24am, 13 Mar 2012
12,004 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Fastwitches
Brooks ST
K-Swiss Kwicky Blade Light

Do it, they aren't as padded and force you to think about your form. You tend to land more mid/forefoot in racers.
Mar 2012
7:15am, 13 Mar 2012
58,344 posts
  •  
GregP
Zoot Ovwa. Similar to the K-Swiss, I believe, but cooler.
Mar 2012
7:16am, 13 Mar 2012
58,345 posts
  •  
GregP
Oh, it's Alex. Morning Al. Zoot Ovwa. YKIMS.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by SouthendAl
Help please:

I have stupid feet, over pronate like a loon. I currently run everything in my trus...