Route Plotting

9 watchers
Aug 2023
12:56pm, 11 Aug 2023
29,515 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
In case it helps, I send GPX files from routes I created on Fetch to Garmin.

The process on your phone is:

1) open route and download GPX
2) open the GPX in your downloads, and look for the little export icon (an arrow leaving a rectangle, on iPhone)
3) the export options include Garmin (I also send routes to my Wahoo app for use on my bike)
4) once the route arrives in Garmin, you can send it to your device. Once synced, you are good to go.
Aug 2023
1:15pm, 11 Aug 2023
2,768 posts
  •  
Big_G
Rosehip, I’ve done that in OS Maps, but the suggested routes aren’t from my door. They’re all a drive away. On the orange site, it suggests routes from where the device currently is, meaning I don’t have to plot anything. I’ll have a further play though.

Fetch, thanks for the info. I’ll have a play.
Aug 2023
1:57pm, 11 Aug 2023
29,652 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I assume then that if doesn’t find any, then there aren’t any from your door

Have you tried random selcection of places to see how it works? I don’t think I’ve ever had a problem finding something roughly suitable to base a run or walk around
Aug 2023
10:24pm, 12 Aug 2023
2,771 posts
  •  
Big_G
Rosehip, I just tried a couple of campsites I stayed at recently, but the routes OS Maps chose weren’t from the site, but were a drive away.
um
Aug 2023
10:48pm, 12 Aug 2023
7,639 posts
  •  
um
Big_G
I just tried from my current holiday home in Pooley Bridge.
Without filters

With filters

Looking at the map options, rather than the 'recommendation' panel
Aug 2023
6:26am, 13 Aug 2023
2,772 posts
  •  
Big_G
um, I’m not getting that. I’m getting a screen that is telling me to zoom out, when it is set to running, but with no distance filters, and a postcode. If I have no filters I get a short 3.2m walk (not on tarmac, and I’m not too keen on muddy stuff!), plus 2 50+ mile LEJOG walks and also 2 or 3 square tiles titled ‘Missing VeloViewer Explorer’. Is it because this campsite was fairly remote?

At home, which is more built up, it’s not showing anything directly from my door, with no filters. Apart from a couple of 1.5 mile walks, which are walkable to get to the start of, they’re all a drive a way. There are also quite a lot of junk options, like a 60 mile out and back route, which is just a straight line, clearly not following any roads.

Does it rely on people submitting routes? If so maybe it’s just the app isn’t used much here? The orange place doesn’t seem to be confined to specific routes that users have set up, and for how I use it, it is much more usable.
um
Aug 2023
7:25am, 13 Aug 2023
7,641 posts
  •  
um
Big-G - yes, I assume the OS one relies on people submitting routes, and I'd also guess that not many runners use it as their venue of choice. The one I sometimes use is Map My Run (or Walk) especially when away from home.
Aug 2023
10:59am, 13 Aug 2023
29,666 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I don’t select a mode, just use it to get idea however they were set up - but I’m not looking for tarmac routes, so usually find something useful

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nelly
Before I send this as Feedback to Fetch, does anybody know if there are any settings on the Route pl...