Recovery running

2 watchers
Apr 2012
11:56am, 10 Apr 2012
11,530 posts
  •  
DeeGee
What's the plan with this?

I've stiffened up nicely after Sunday, and despite a slight calf knack I'm just in a major attack of DOMS. I've not felt like this post-marathon for a couple of years!

So I've got a club run tonight, a 5 mile race on Thursday, then a week's mini-taper until VLM.

A recovery run would seem de rigeur tonight, and I'm sure there will be other candidtaes, but how far? How fast? Should there be discomfort? Pain? All out muscles screaming?
Ted
Apr 2012
12:24pm, 10 Apr 2012
11,193 posts
  •  
Ted
dude, I think your RR pace should be around 09:00mm (at fastest) based on your awesome time from Sunday. Nice sub-3:30 BTW.

You should ease out as you are running as the legs and joints ease out. 1/2 hour or so should be sufficient as you have nothing to gain between here and VLM.
Apr 2012
12:27pm, 10 Apr 2012
9,771 posts
  •  
Naomi P
I'd say no more than 45 minutes, as slow as you can without losing form. Anything like mine, you feel like R2D2 in the first mile and it hurts a lot for the first few. But by the mile 3 it should be easing up, and by 4 or 5, it should be a lot looser and pain free.

Caveat: that's based on general reading around and what works for me, not a dictionary definition.
Apr 2012
12:50pm, 10 Apr 2012
6,041 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
I usually do around 25 - 30 minutes, set out running like my legs are made of hinged wood and gradually loosen up. About 8.45 - 9mm usually works for me.
Apr 2012
1:07pm, 10 Apr 2012
11,536 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Is this a bad time to break in my new racing flats?
Apr 2012
1:50pm, 10 Apr 2012
9,772 posts
  •  
Naomi P
Can't see the harm in it, but you might want the cushioning of a more built up pair if your legs are hurting.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
What's the plan with this?

I've stiffened up nicely after Sunday, and despite a slight calf kna...