Post-run Cough - What's Normal?

2 watchers
Oct 2013
8:55pm, 10 Oct 2013
2,507 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
I went to run group tonight where we did 7 x hill reps of 2 mins each. It's the first run I've done for a couple of weeks so it was quite a hard session for me. By the time we got back to the car park, I was coughing like a 40 a day smoker. Others in the group thought it was odd but this always happens after running, and the harder the session, the worse the cough. There were times on the way home when I thought I was at risk of coughing up a lung (overdramatic? moi?).

The reaction I got from the group got me thinking - is this normal? Anyone else have the same issue? Is there anything I can do to stop it?
Oct 2013
9:00pm, 10 Oct 2013
2,932 posts
  •  
Wobbling
It sometimes happens with me (tho not quite as dramatically as you!) especially if it's cold outside, but then I'm asthmatic so I think it's normal for me.
Oct 2013
9:07pm, 10 Oct 2013
2,508 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
oh and when I think about it, there have been a couple of occasions where I've worked really, really hard and had a few moments of not being able to breath out (I recall taking big gulps of air and panicking that I couldn't get it back out). Wonder if it's all part of the same problem?
Oct 2013
1:56pm, 11 Oct 2013
10,527 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Hi, if you are worried about it then why not get appointment with your GP. I would think excessive coughing after exercise is not normal.
Oct 2013
2:04pm, 11 Oct 2013
7,426 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
THis has never happened to me, and I am not aware of hearing anyone in my club training group cough like that so I would say it was not normal. Does not mean it is dangerous.
Oct 2013
2:15pm, 11 Oct 2013
7,570 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Not had the same, can't think of it it others. Though I had similar last year when I wasn't fully recovered from a chest infection and tried to run. Maybe you have some kind of low-level infection which only is symptomatic when your lungs are pushed to their limit.

Not a solution to the underlying problem, but have you tried drinking more fluids during/after the session? I also like some of these if my chest isn't 100% jakemans.com
Oct 2013
2:15pm, 11 Oct 2013
19,090 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
Working very hard and breathing fast and deep does cause this in many people.
I get it when I've pushed myself hard - even get the taste of 'blood' sometimes.
Oct 2013
2:22pm, 11 Oct 2013
52,468 posts
  •  
Gobi
Indeed El Bee

I can be heard wheezing in the last km of a 5km and will be coughing an hour later.

Embrace the suffering and know you worked hard.
Oct 2013
5:31pm, 12 Oct 2013
2,510 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
thanks for all your replies and sorry I've been tied up with a training course so haven't been able to respond. The same query on twitter also resulted in a suggestion of exercise induced asthma. I'm not too worried about it - it's been happening pretty much since I started running and I'm not dead yet so it can't be too serious ;) I've got a GP appointment for a check up for something else towards the end of this month so I think I'll mention it to her then.
Oct 2013
6:20pm, 12 Oct 2013
8,239 posts
  •  
Oysterboy
Yeah google reckons exercise induced asthma. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about :)

About This Thread

Maintained by
I went to run group tonight where we did 7 x hill reps of 2 mins each. It's the first run I've do...