Pins and needles in left foot when running

2 watchers
Apr 2013
9:49am, 29 Apr 2013
330 posts
  •  
not built for speed
During a 5 mile race yesterday, I started to get pins and needles in my left foot from mile 2 and by mile 4, it was hard to tell when I was putting my foot down properly. As soon as I stopped running, it went away very quickly.

I thought it was my laces, but I stopped to loosen them at 2 miles when it first happened. I wasn't wearing new shoes, and was not running flat out.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing it, and what I can do to stop it happening again? I have very tight calves at the moment (which I am trying to sort out), so it may be linked to that?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Apr 2013
10:05am, 29 Apr 2013
2,111 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I have had this happen with socks above the ankle being too tight, (plus laces - although you obviously tried that).
Apr 2013
10:07am, 29 Apr 2013
331 posts
  •  
not built for speed
Thanks Autumnleaves - i was wearing my "racing socks" - they are ones that I have been wearing for a couple of years and I've never had a problem before. I guess they could have got "ruffled up" (they are double layer) and caused pressure?
Apr 2013
10:10am, 29 Apr 2013
15,913 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Where in your foot was it?
Apr 2013
10:18am, 29 Apr 2013
332 posts
  •  
not built for speed
Kind of all over - starting underneath and then going to the toes. I didn't notice it on the top of the foot, but to be honest, I was more concerned with not tripping over!
Apr 2013
10:30am, 29 Apr 2013
15,916 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Affecting your whole foot is odd, and means that it could be from a problem higher up. The nerve supply to your foot divides at your knee and ankle. Local pressure from laces/socks wouldn't normally produce symptoms all over your foot. Things like mortons neuroma would also just oduce a localised area of numbness/pins and needles.

Any pain/tightness anywhere else? Sciatica like symptoms?
Apr 2013
10:31am, 29 Apr 2013
880 posts
  •  
Mave
I used to get this a LOT. My whole foot would go numb. I found that it had nothing to do with laces and socks etc. I found that when i stretched out my calf the feeling came back. A physio friend of mine said that it was likely due to overly tight glutes, tightening up and restricting blood flow. I started doing glute stretches and calf stretches and more general warming up. Problem seems to have gone away.
Apr 2013
10:32am, 29 Apr 2013
881 posts
  •  
Mave
Just read your whole post properly, and yes, the calves are a likely suspect.
Apr 2013
10:43am, 29 Apr 2013
333 posts
  •  
not built for speed
Hmm....ok - looks like much more stretching required. Might try and get a massage this week - at the moment my calves feel like rocks :-(

Thanks for the advice!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by not built for speed
During a 5 mile race yesterday, I started to get pins and needles in my left foot from mile 2 and by...