Numpty question on LSR pace

13 watchers
May 2012
2:45pm, 2 May 2012
157 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Thanks SODIron I will try that - I have a tendency to fall into the latter camp, I do do tend to find myself thinking 'I can't possibly keep this up' or conversely 'well I've blown it now so I might as well slow down'. I have only just started entering more than one race a year as I didn't particularly like the races, I just enjoy running outside - so I probably do need to practice this more. I am really working towards my first half marathon in early September, and I was going to treat May's 10k as fun, but having done so many more miles this year I know I am hoping (at the back of my mind) that I might manage a PB if I have a good day.
May 2012
3:07pm, 2 May 2012
558 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
I've heard that phrase 'pockets to sockets' and have no idea what it means. Can someone explain it?
May 2012
3:11pm, 2 May 2012
10,182 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
do you have a parkrun 5K near you..? They are a great FREE way to practice your racing tactics....you could set yourself mini-targets in the race, things like controlled start (i.e. hard but not too hard) try and catch x people in the last mile, don't let anyone pass you in the last 400M, run negative-split etc.

All skills that will come in handy when running a race...
May 2012
3:15pm, 2 May 2012
2,526 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Autumnleaves - my best 10ks have all been "negative splits" - starting off slower and finishing faster.

I've tried going off hard and just end up red-lining too early and in a 10k, you never get it back (you just don't have time to recover and have a 2nd wind. In my last 10k, I was hanging on from 4k onwards - needless to say I was 30s outside my pb, when I was in the sort of shape to knock up to a minute off my pb.

So, I'm going to contradict SODs advice and say if you really are dying at 7k, then you've gone out too hard and would benefit from pacing it better. Plus you'll be passing all those that have gone off too fast, so you'll get a psychological boost from that. Of course, at 9k, it should be painful no matter what (if you're racing flat out that is) and you then have to dig in and get on with it.
May 2012
3:16pm, 2 May 2012
10,183 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
"Pockets to Socket"...

Simply put, means getting your arms at 90 degree angles, and driving the arms backwareds and forwards to the hands are aligned with your trouser/short pockets (real or virtual) on the backward drive and then up level (roughly) with your shoulder sockets....hence pockets to sockets
May 2012
3:17pm, 2 May 2012
2,527 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Pockets to Sockets = concentrate on form when tired. Something you should really be doing always. Racing or not.
May 2012
3:19pm, 2 May 2012
10,184 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
Fozzy...ideally all athletes wouldn't die at 7K mark in a 10K...what I was saying is that it's normal for most racers to die at the 7K (or earlier) mark and that it does pass. The reason they die is most have bad pacing strategy...they get sucked along with the rush of excitement at the start of the race and are in big trouble by the time that they hit around 4 miles.

In an ideal world of perfect pacing we wouldn't get our pacing so wrong however, since this is a very common scenario in any 10K race we need to have a strategy to deal with this.
May 2012
3:24pm, 2 May 2012
2,528 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I would say don't get into the situation in the first place!

It's normal for most people to die at 7k (or earlier), because as you say people go off too fast.

Therefore my advice, from the experience I've gained is to try and avoid that feeling and instead pace your race better (this equally applies to any race distance).

I'm a strong believer in not reinventing the wheel and instead learning as much as we can from ourselves and others!
May 2012
3:26pm, 2 May 2012
158 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
My plan is to aim for a negative split - I know in the past I have run out too fast and have nothing much left by 7k, but I will also try the distraction techniques of 'pockets to sockets' as I can see the logic of that too. I thank you all very muchly and I'll let you know how it goes.
May 2012
3:30pm, 2 May 2012
10,185 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
indeed Fozzy, I'm not disputing your arguement....in an ideal world we'd all be a little slower in the first mile or so, hence the advice at practicing a controlled start in local parkrun. The issue is though that she's suffering with the dreaded 7K burn that many suffer...this isn't always as black 'n' white as starting too fast, some runners do actually start at a pace to match their ability but still struggle with the mental side of running when they get to around 4 miles or so.This is why it's good to learn tactics to cope with this. Infact in an ideal world one would teach themselves to have a controlled start, run neg split and cope with the mental side of running/racing.

About This Thread

Maintained by DiscoSteve
I know this is going to make me sound a bit stoopid, but I've read comments on various threads abou...