Numpty question on LSR pace

13 watchers
May 2012
3:47pm, 2 May 2012
48 posts
  •  
Vicky W
This thread has been great for someone new to trying for times in races instead of just hoping to get round :-)

Thanks therefore to OP for a VERY SENSIBLE question :-)

It's so hard to know what times various runs should be done at, so the advice here has been appreciated - for ages I used my long run as a kind of race trial, in a 'if I can keep it up every w/end I can of course do it come race day' kind of a way.

I think it actually takes a lot of confidence to slow down - and also a lot to keep to even pacing in races when most others go off like rockets.
May 2012
3:50pm, 2 May 2012
409 posts
  •  
Kenny_Boy
Vicky,

Regardless of distance, one of my favourite parts of racing is seeing the "first mile speed merchants" coming back into to view in the last mile - hugely satisfying to take them down.
May 2012
3:54pm, 2 May 2012
49 posts
  •  
Vicky W
Nice point KB - always a silver lining :-)
May 2012
3:57pm, 2 May 2012
159 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I've just looked at the McMillan calculator - I have been running my recent long runs way too fast, this explains a lot. My tempo and steady state ones appear to be about right though. I have found the contributions on this thread really useful - it is so tempting to try and gauge progress in training by trying to improve pace times or times on the same route. I will be running slowly this evening!!
May 2012
4:01pm, 2 May 2012
2,530 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Yes, most people run their long runs too fast.

Occasionally, it is a good thing to do a "faster" long run - just to stretch yourself a bit and see where you are.
May 2012
4:02pm, 2 May 2012
10,186 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
sounds like you're well on the way to a summer of PBs...good luck. :O)
May 2012
4:03pm, 2 May 2012
50 posts
  •  
Vicky W
Nice one AL - this is what I mean by it being so hard to judge pace.

The asics traning plan has my HM LSR at over 1min slower per mile than I've been running mine, yet the time predicter has me on a pb (p'raps thats why I like it so much ;-))

Lots of discipline is clearly required. :-)
May 2012
4:04pm, 2 May 2012
51 posts
  •  
Vicky W
Aaagh - xpost with rf fozzy & SODIron!!!!
May 2012
4:16pm, 2 May 2012
1,924 posts
  •  
tom_craggs
The purpose of running LSR slowly is to build youyr aerobic capcity, capillary density, mitochondria etc more than just avoiding burning out. 60-120 secs slower than marathon pace is a fair range for most. A training partner got back from Iten recent and said he met a few 2.10 marathons running their morning easy runs at 9.20mm....

I spend a good amount of my time as a coach getting people to slow down! There is a time for adding in marathon pace or even threshold pace into a long run, but only in a planned, strucutred way. I pretty much guarantee if you are running your long runs at or aroundd marathon pace all the time you will not be developing your body's ability to process stored fats as efficiently as it could.
May 2012
4:19pm, 2 May 2012
1,925 posts
  •  
tom_craggs
...and just to back up an ealier point Chris Thompson (27:30 10,000m) doesn't run faster than 7.30s on his general runs....if it is good enough for him....

About This Thread

Maintained by DiscoSteve
I know this is going to make me sound a bit stoopid, but I've read comments on various threads abou...