Marathon on one run a week

3 watchers
Aug 2018
1:52pm, 12 Aug 2018
2,286 posts
  •  
Tim of MK
Hypothetically, should it not be possible to complete a matathon on a single training run a week?

If someone went out say every Sunday for twenty weeks and built up to say 20+ miles, why shouldn't they then be able to go out and finish a marathon?
WA
Aug 2018
2:03pm, 12 Aug 2018
5,708 posts
  •  
WA
I've done this. Yes, it is possible,but you won't run your best marathon. I don't know why, because of my basic lack of knowledge about training benefits etc. I did nothing else - no cross training. I suppose if you are doing other exercise too that will make a difference.
Aug 2018
2:05pm, 12 Aug 2018
16,475 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Hypothetically, I reckon it might be. However, building that long run up might be very difficult, psychologically as well as physically. I'm also a believer that two runs a week is much more than twice as useful than one.
Aug 2018
2:07pm, 12 Aug 2018
38,849 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
People manage to wing marathons on no training at all, so why bother doing one run?
Aug 2018
2:13pm, 12 Aug 2018
969 posts
  •  
oumaumau
I wouldn't think one run per week would force any adaptation to the training stimulus, so if you were capable before the 20 week 'plan', then you would be capable come race day. Why not just cut out the middle bit and run one today?
Aug 2018
2:33pm, 12 Aug 2018
32,972 posts
  •  
Nellers
It depends where you're starting from and what you're trying to achieve, but my main question would be why bother?

If you're, for example, cycling a couple of hundred miles a week and fitting one run in then you're in with a good chance of running it fairly well I'd imagine. There are plenty of Triathletes who, due to injury, get through the run part of tris off just their bike and swim work so I guess that would work.

If you're a middle aged, sedentary, soap-watcher and you're starting from scratch then let's be honest, even with a good solid training plan it's going to be a tough day. I'd imagine that trying to get there on just one run a week would be even more painful but doable.

I can't think why you'd want to though, other than to see if you could which is fair enough I suppose.

You say hypothetically. Any plans brewing?
Aug 2018
5:00pm, 12 Aug 2018
2,287 posts
  •  
Tim of MK
No, it isn't something that I'm planning to try lol. It'd be interesting, but running just once a week would do my head in. I like to get out four times a week. Five in some weeks.
SPR
Aug 2018
5:43pm, 12 Aug 2018
26,861 posts
  •  
SPR
Even RW wouldn't suggest this surely?!
Aug 2018
5:47pm, 12 Aug 2018
772 posts
  •  
DavidAP
If you don't care about time, as V'Rap suggests people do blag marathons on zero training. Everybody has their own reasons for 'running', perhaps completing a better word, a marathon and sometimes time isn't a factor.
Aug 2018
10:20pm, 12 Aug 2018
2,288 posts
  •  
Tim of MK
In my hypothetical question, I wasn't suggesting winging a marathon on zilch training.

Rather, going out for one weekly long run only, building up to say 20 miles.

Simply, all the long efforts in a 'classic' marathon programme, but no other runs or cross training.

Logically, I don't see why this shouldn't work.

About This Thread

Maintained by Tim of Fife
Hypothetically, should it not be possible to complete a matathon on a single training run a week?