Low Peak flow

4 watchers
Sep 2015
4:30am, 27 Sep 2015
24,811 posts
  •  
idio
You are taking a deep breath and standing up before you blow into the meter?

I'm sure I could blow higher than 250 if I farted down it ;) seriously see a doctor/asthma nurse if you are that worried.
Sep 2015
8:18am, 27 Sep 2015
6,246 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
IF YOU're NOT POORLY STOP MEASURING IT UNLESS A CHEST DOC HAS TOLD YOU TO

sorry for the shouting. I probably have subnormal spirometry as a result of being weird and a professor of chest medicine has recommended that I never test and just focus on getting on with life. It works.
Sep 2015
11:37am, 27 Sep 2015
19,977 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
Did you get your new toy off eBay, HoD?
Sep 2015
2:24pm, 27 Sep 2015
5,763 posts
  •  
The_Saint
I'm sceptical about what these measure, I can blow this kind en.wikipedia.org to the end no trouble and on a visit to a college when I was in 6th form I took their challenge and did a slightly different test where you exhale and keep exhaling which moves a pen up a graph, I went off the top of their paper but at the time outside of a football match I couldn't run any real distance comfortably.
Sep 2015
12:09pm, 28 Sep 2015
6,725 posts
  •  
Binks
Just had an asthma check up. I got 300-350 on the peak flow test.

I've often felt breathing being laboured, I've had an inhaler for a few years now and mostly forget to carry it around with me but when I use it I feel better.
I was prompted to go back and have it tested a bit more after a parkrun last week (Tring), which starts on a hill. That first k I was breathing so badly and squeaking so loud I was concerned that I was spoiling the event for others. That was the worst I recall my breathing ever being.

I am guessing that my peak flow might increase when I am warmed up? I've just ordered one of those spirograph thingies. I might give it a blow before I start a run and then again during to see if it goes up.
Sep 2015
1:29pm, 28 Sep 2015
16,495 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Put a ping pong ball in your vacuum cleaner*, and see if you can beat it.

*Don't.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hills of Death (HOD)
I have a fairly low peak flow does this mean I have 'asthma' and does this effect my training/spee...