Lateral meniscus tear...post operation.

1 watcher
May 2012
6:04am, 16 May 2012
632 posts
  •  
magoo
Having torn my lateral meniscus in my right knee last October, I am now at the pre operation assessment stage. Should hopefully get the operation soon although it could be up to 15 weeks!!! Anyway was wanting to know if anyone has went through this? How was recovery? Did you get back to running and how was that compared to your pre injury performances? Was told I could be back on the bike after 2 weeks and back jogging 4-5 weeks after operation. Is that realistic? Just hoping to get back to easy daily 4-5 mile training runs......possible?
May 2012
8:00pm, 16 May 2012
633 posts
  •  
magoo
Just going to 'boing' this to catch the evening readers! ;-)
May 2012
11:53am, 17 May 2012
137 posts
  •  
pdavey
hey, I had a torn ACL and torn cartilage fixed in Jan 2011, although I'd only just started running and had done a couple of 5ks and 10ks.

Its a bit different for me having my ACL done as well and I couldn't run for 3 months and when i started back, it was only 2/3 miles a couple of times a week on grass, but it quickly increased as I'd done the hard work in the gym with all the tedious physio exercises. Lots of stretching, lunges, calf raises, squats (without weights) etc, plus you can cycle lots too. I had an excellent physio luckily and she worked me really hard as she could see how much I wanted to get back running.

As I'd only just started running before the op I can't really comment if I'm any better or worse, my first 10k back was in Sept I think, knocked around 4mins off my pb, since then I've knocked another 3mins off.

1 year after I'd started running again I ran my first marathon, slowly, but still. :)

good luck :)
May 2012
11:58am, 17 May 2012
17,747 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
magoo - I had exactly this Last year.
And yes the timescale is realistic.
May 2012
11:59am, 17 May 2012
17,748 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
The cycling is excellent for maintaining some condition, but you DO need to wait for everything to heal properly before subjecting it to the dynamic impact of running
May 2012
4:18pm, 17 May 2012
634 posts
  •  
magoo
Thanks for the positive feedback. Hoping to get back to running non competitively and both your experiences are very reassuring. Cheers. :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Having torn my lateral meniscus in my right knee last October, I am now at the pre operation assessm...