its a headtorch you know

5 watchers
Oct 2013
3:55pm, 28 Oct 2013
2,692 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Me and t' missus have Petzl Myo XPs, have used these all over the place and they're good, reliable little headtorches - the diffuser is surprisingly good in misty conditons too. Like others, I've also got a little Petzl Tikka that I wrap around my hand and use for low level illumination.

I've got one of these for when I want to sear the retinas out of oncoming sheep: hopetech.com
Oct 2013
3:56pm, 28 Oct 2013
2,693 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
p.s. Bobs had one of the Alpkit Gammas but the battery case broke. Apparently the new design is much better ... unbeatable for the cost.
Oct 2013
2:34pm, 29 Oct 2013
2,432 posts
  •  
rosehip
does anyone else find that running with a headtorch makes them feel a bit seasick -and if so did you get used to it ?
Oct 2013
2:36pm, 29 Oct 2013
19,133 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
NE - You wear the r4 as a headtorch?
Wow!
Oct 2013
2:42pm, 29 Oct 2013
69,843 posts
  •  
santababy
Petzl myo XP too, i run every morning with this and have done WHWrace in this also. I tend to wear a buff with mine as a buffer, see what i did there? but if its roasty toasty its gets slapped on my heed like it is and doesnt bounce around.
Oct 2013
3:01pm, 29 Oct 2013
2,698 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
LB - yes, I do wear the R4 as a headtorch and it's performance is just what you'd expect, but it's a bit of double-edged sword. The 520ma/8.4v battery is a bit heavy and you do notice this, I've taken to using the extension cord and putting the battery in a rucksack pocket, but this also has its drawbacks - especially if you forget! Very antisocial too, if you have it on max warp it tends to blat out everyone elses headtorches :-)

I hasten to add, I have the Hope bike bracket and use the R4 for that more often than not.

SB - I also use a buff under my headtorch, very important for me as I have considerably less hair than you :-) Have also had some luck using a cycling skullcap, stops the twist on top of the buff from getting in the way of the centre strap.
Oct 2013
3:04pm, 29 Oct 2013
19,134 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
We have R2s and they make amazing bike lights/head torches! The R4 is like a searchlight.
With you on the battery though - a few guys at the club have the R4 and it's rather large compared to the R2 offering
Oct 2013
3:08pm, 29 Oct 2013
21,274 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
+1 for Alpkit Gamma too. £15, brighter than both my Petzl Tikka and Plus at £30 and £35. I'd say it's as good as one at £50 or even £80 plus.

If you want to be seen on streets, fine, but otherwise, don't be tempted to go for anything less bright e.g. Petzl no use if you are going off road, up hill etc. :-)G
Oct 2013
3:13pm, 29 Oct 2013
14,941 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'm going to offer up further big love for the Alpkit gamma, and the company are superb. The battery case broke on mine (not a design flaw, toddler!), I realised just three days from Thunder Run and they send me one straight away, with the proviso that if it hadn't arrived at home by Thursday night they'd courier one to me to work on the Firday morning. You can't buy customer service like that.
Oct 2013
3:16pm, 29 Oct 2013
2,699 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Have to agree that the R4 is perhaps overkill as a headtorch. Tell you what though, when you're trying to move fast down a rocky fell it definitely illuminates the landscape.

HG - I don't know if I'd 100% agree with that, the Gamma is terrific value for the money and I love the red light on the back, but in performance terms I don't think it's as good as a Petzl Myo. Talking of which, I know the Myo goes for around 60 - 70 quid mark in outdoor shops, but I got both ours from eBay for around 35 quid, brand new and still packaged. There are usually plenty of them out there.

About This Thread

Maintained by baz p
right, im looking to purchase a head torch. some of my routes have no street ligting, and with vlm ...