Injury- blind panic and despair-please help!

2 watchers
Aug 2011
9:14pm, 1 Aug 2011
3 posts
  •  
stonehan
Disaster struck yesterday; have injured myself somehow during long run. Iced it yesterday but when I went out this evening it hurt badly and I came home to rest and ice again. I don't know if you can hear the anguished howling and hair tearing out from there? I don't want to overreact or anything, but the thought of not running is making me feel blind panic.

The pain is really deep inside my- how can I put this delicately?- gluteal area. Quite acute yesterday but really settled today until I started to run when it immediately hurt loads. What could it be? How can it just arrive out of the blue- I did nothing different? And most importantly, how do I get rid of it as soon as possible?

Any help and suggestions deeply appreciated.

Hannah
Aug 2011
9:21pm, 1 Aug 2011
103 posts
  •  
katief89
Honestly, I'll say the thing no-one wants to hear...if it hurts then don't run for a bit! Take a few days off, see how it goes. I know it's so so hard to do it (I'm currently on about 9 weeks of not running 'properly' and it's driving me crazy but the only way I'm getting through it is thinking that I need the rest in order to be able to get back to running again...ie if I keep making it hurt more it'll never get better!) Could be a strain or just overuse? My injury came on all of a sudden aswell - was just running, stopped to removed a fly from my eye (!), started again and bam it hurt. It was just waiting to occur I think! Stretch out, ice, foam roll a bit etc, and if it isn't getting better after a while, maybe resort to physio?
Aug 2011
9:25pm, 1 Aug 2011
3,785 posts
  •  
katypie
might be piriformis? tight sharp in the butt? tight hammies? I'd say go see a physio and don't panic, you don't know what it is yet!!
Aug 2011
9:26pm, 1 Aug 2011
13,011 posts
  •  
Stumpy
sympathy.

but katie talks good sense. if it hurts to run then don't run! it needs to heal.

gentle stretching (you should feel the difference between a stretch to loosen things off and OW! don't go to OW!). i would say only ice if you think there's inflammation and if it is deep in the glute then ice won't reach that far anyway. if stretching hurts then just keep it moving.

any pain going down the leg at all? or does it feel muscular within the butt cheek?

PS someone qualified will be along soon I am sure.

PPS welcome to fetch! :-)
Aug 2011
9:26pm, 1 Aug 2011
16,980 posts
  •  
ogee
Sore arse syndrome;)

Or thats what I thought I had, struggled along for a while trying to sort it out myself, but in the end I went to see my Osteo/Physio & she told me I had a Torn Hamstring, three sessions, loads of stretching, acupuncture & some weird & wonderful machines later I was almost cured. Still have a few problems but are now manageable.
Go see a physio & get it sorted. :)
Aug 2011
9:27pm, 1 Aug 2011
5,234 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
I agree with ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :-o
Aug 2011
9:30pm, 1 Aug 2011
3,786 posts
  •  
katypie
oooh ouch ogee
Aug 2011
9:42pm, 1 Aug 2011
9,913 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Rest it, stretch it (but not if it hurts). It will settle.

We have all been there, and the real mistake is pressing on because you want to run and are terrified that you will lose ground if you don't.
The reality is that if you keep training when injured you will do far greater damage and end up out for ages.

It will not take you long to get your fitness back- as long as you rest it.
Aug 2011
9:45pm, 1 Aug 2011
104 posts
  •  
katief89
Well put Johnny!
Aug 2011
9:52pm, 1 Aug 2011
19 posts
  •  
forever
Hiya :) I would definitely not run if it hurts. If it doesn't go away after following the advise above I would go and see a recommended physio. Still hope to see you at Wissey :)

About This Thread

Maintained by
Disaster struck yesterday; have injured myself somehow during long run. Iced it yesterday but when I...