heel striking and midfoot striking

3 watchers
Sep 2012
8:06am, 19 Sep 2012
470 posts
  •  
Miss Ali Bob
This has probably been asked before but how do I go from heel striking to midfoot strike. My physio thinks that is what is giving me shin splints. I have had to pull out of the Birmingham half because of it. Not a happy chicken right now.
Sep 2012
8:54am, 19 Sep 2012
8 posts
  •  
hogglet
Hi,

I heel strike quite severely and do not suffer from shin splints. I have suffered in the past (20 years ago) but ever since getting gait analysis before buying shoes, I have not had a recurrence. I recently started running again and went from zero mileage to quite high mileage. I did end up with an injury but that was due to not stretching and it now seems to have gone, having just completed the Trans Britain Ultra.

I personally would not always believe what a physio says - I have been to three in the past 3 months and two of them said one thing, one said anther. It might well be worth getting a second opinion.

Instead of a physio, why not try a podiatrist? They may be able to provide you with shoe inserts to alleviate any rolling or gait problem. 2 friends of mine have been and both have said that ever since, the problems they were having have gone.

You can also self massage your shins to relieve the problem... if you have some massage oil, run your fingers along the edge of your shin bone - it will probably feel knobbly... this is a build up of calcium which you need to break down. You can do this by gently massaging the area. Any physio worth their salt will be able to show you how to do this... if they don't they are just after your money.

Good luck with the injury
Sep 2012
8:56am, 19 Sep 2012
1,256 posts
  •  
IanThinkRunning
The short answer is see a running technique coach who can assess your current running style and show you how to put any errors right through a series of drills/exercises that over time will help you to learn how to run with skill.
There are many instructors who uses different systems.

For example JonP/Elbee/Cabletow etc who use Pose
Mitch who uses Chi

And me. I am a VivoBarefoot certified coach.

All systems have their differences but all are similar in that they help people to learn how to run with skill.
Sep 2012
8:58am, 19 Sep 2012
1,257 posts
  •  
IanThinkRunning
Shin splints is a sign of possible heel landing out in front. The shin muscles get over used due to the subconscious trying to stop the toes slapping down hard after the heel strike.
Sep 2012
9:09am, 19 Sep 2012
17,994 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
The longer version:
Miss Ali Bob - The most common reason for getting shin splints is 'something you are doing' and not 'something that is wrong with you.
Stop doing the thing that causes it and they go away!

And heel striking (well, landing in front of you, actually) sets up a chain reaction of things that happen which are the primary cause of shin splints.

Contrary to hogglet (welcome to the Fetch boards, by the way :) ) You're physio is correct in their assesment as to the reason, but simply telling you to run mid/forefoot is not enough, because actually the change you need to make is one from the 'biomechanics of walking with a jump' to the 'biomechanics of running' and they are quite different.

The quickest way to effect that change and for it to stick is to do some work with a form coach!

The shorter version:
What Ian said!

:)
Sep 2012
9:10am, 19 Sep 2012
17,995 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
...and my apologies for the horrible "You're" - dunno how I managed that :(
Sep 2012
9:30am, 19 Sep 2012
11 posts
  •  
hogglet
eL Bee!

Everyone is different, and I know that I have had differing opinions from different physios. I also know that 2 friends have had problems resolved by using inserts after seeing a podiatrist... someone who is surely as well qualified, if not more so, than a physio when it comes to gait analysis and interpretation?

I'm not trying to start an argument - I know how frustrating injury is and would not wish it on anyone... so I think discussion is great and hearing about different experiences helps give you a chance to make a more informed or even different choice.

I heel strike severely, but do not have shin splints. I think that the idea of changing your running style is quite a big upheaval... after all most people have been running in the manner they do for 20 or more years... to try to change that is possible, but is not an overnight fix... to do it properly without causing injury to other parts of the body, which will start to move in ways they are not used to, will take time.

As I said in my first post - gait analysis and proper shoe selection has meant that since returning to running, and going from 0 to fairly high mileage has meant that the shin splints I had suffered from for a period of over 2 years 20 years ago has not recurred.

If something as simple as self massage and shoe selection can sort the problem, then maybe that is a way ahead? Changing the way your foot strikes the ground changes other things bio-mechanically and if someone is already suffering or prone to injury, then anything other than a very slow and frustrating build up in mileage whilst changing technique may only lead to other injuries in other parts of the body.

Barefoot running/midfooot strike might well be the way that our ancestors ran and might well be the most efficient way bio-mechanically (and I'll be staight with you, I have toyed with the idea of changing to see if it makes a difference to my running efficiency). However if a person has ran in a manner that comes naturally to them for 20 or 30 years, then I personally don't think changing this will necessarily solve as many problems as it could cause down the line.

Physiology is not a one size fits all science, something that I am sure IanThinkRunning agrees with... which is why to be a physio you have to be so well qualified, otherwise we could all self diagnose and self treat through the internet!
Sep 2012
10:48am, 19 Sep 2012
17,996 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
hogglet - actually we are all alarmingly similar, and the things that cause us injury are too. And all injuries come about from over-working and over-stressing the bits that get injured

Yes there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat, but good efficient movement is good efficient movement whether it be running, climbing, dancing, swimming - anything that is a skilled movement.

Sadly, most don't consider running to be a skilled movement or one that can be improved. And the adaptation to moving and working in a different way doesn't take that long OR cause injury if you do it sensibly, but the investment in your prolonged physical health is worth it.

But many people would prefer to spend hundreds of pounds on shoes and orthotics to treat the symptom rather than the cause. Seems a bit silly to me!

OK - I'm now popping out for the day with my lovely wife, so any non-interaction isn't me being rude, I'll be out :)
Sep 2012
11:22am, 19 Sep 2012
1,258 posts
  •  
IanThinkRunning
I a nutshell, injuries like shinsplints and many other common injuries associated with runners are usually (but not always) a sign of using the body incorrectly - errors in running skill/technique.

Shinsplints is a very common one associated with landing in front of centre of gravity with the foot dorsiflexed (heel first landing).

As Elbee says though, not everyone regards running as a skilled movement. It is a skill though, just as skiing, tennis, martial arts, dancing etc. is.

There has been some research done on heel striking. Apparently people who run in such a way incur a higher injury risk...

You may find this article interesting too.

runbare.com
Sep 2012
11:36am, 19 Sep 2012
5,488 posts
  •  
simbil
Technique alone may not be the answer although it is probably part of your issue. To be injury resistant, you also need to be strong, light and have enough miles in the bank to have caused your body to adapt to running.

After a look at your training log, your volumes seem a bit 'spiky' which means that you are not giving your body the right stimulus to adapt and maintain the adaptation. I'd suggest you get over your current issues and start with some very modest weekly mileage and build very slowly with no speed/hill work until you have got a good few months in the bank. If you can, add in some cross training with free weights to build functional strength. Don't be led by any race goals until you have got yourself sorted. Good luck :)

About This Thread

Maintained by Miss Ali Bob
This has probably been asked before but how do I go from heel striking to midfoot strike. My physio ...