Great North Run 2020

12 watchers
Feb 2020
7:23pm, 11 Feb 2020
62 posts
  •  
tommy_b
I don’t recall entering. I may have had a few beers one night watching tv and entered?

But I seem to have a place and now need to a) consider getting there from the south west and b) consider hotel options.

Everything seems extortionate already so I’ve provisionally booked a room with IHG points in Darlington (no cost to me and I can cancel it free if change of plans).

Any.... pointers from people? Suggestions for better options? Thanks!
Feb 2020
9:55am, 12 Feb 2020
10,316 posts
  •  
larkim
Do the Universities make any of their accommodation available? Given the proximity of the start to the Uni it would seem to make sense for them to make some space available as it is out of term time.

Hijacking your thread slightly, the GNR talks about guaranteed place entries:-
"Guaranteed Entries for the Great North Run

We have a limited number of guaranteed fast pace entries available for club athletes. These are available at the standard event entry price.

Any athlete wishing to be considered for a guaranteed fast pace entry should email matt.turnbull@thegreatruncompany.com. As with all Great Run events, your qualifying performance should have been achieved since January 1st of the previous year."

But then they don't allocate criteria for those "qualifying performances". Is this just some secret that they want to keep to themselves?
Feb 2020
10:50am, 12 Feb 2020
4,722 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Local to GNR and have got a place again this year.

Sorry tommy - it's well known in the north east that the weekend of the GNR local accommodation books up and puts the prices up. As I live here, it's not something I have to worry about, but I think there may be some student options, or check out Whitley Bay/North Shields at the coast which have good transport links to the start/finish.

Darlington is a good 50 mins to 1 hour from Newcastle so you'd have to look at options to park and drive or you may be able to catch a train (service is okay, even on a Sunday).
Feb 2020
11:01am, 12 Feb 2020
19,158 posts
  •  
DeeGee
When I used to do GNR, I used to really enjoy the University Accommodation options when it could be booked directly with the university. One time I got a place in Castle Leazes which was utterly perfect. The following year, I had Liberty Plaza, which was also good.

Unfortunately, they then moved over to having the uni accommodation managed for that weekend by Nirvana and the prices went right up.

I've stopped doing the GNR now because it costs more for the weekend than a weekend doing a foreign marathon.
Feb 2020
11:02am, 12 Feb 2020
66 posts
  •  
tommy_b
Think I’m going to provisionally stick with Darlington, drive towards South Shields and metro back to the start.

Going solo and found the “official Travel partner” offering Uni accommodation at either £40 - air bed provided for a sleepover but bring your own bedding (no thanks) - or £80 - single rooms minutes from the start with breakfast etc.

But then bit of a fuss to organise back in etc maybe.
Feb 2020
11:03am, 12 Feb 2020
367 posts
  •  
Lee78
After getting refusal emails from both the Snowdonia Marathon and The Royal Parks Half I was third time lucky with the GNR!

Problem is I don’t find out if I have the time off work till next week, which means all the accommodation will be booked up!
Plus coming from the South East I have a 6 hour drive or 5 hour train journey!

Anyone who has done it before who has travelled a long way, can you say is it worth the stress of getting my s**t together or should I defer till next year and book up my digs well in advance?

Also reading reports about the event, a lot of people say getting back home from the finish line is a nightmare?
Feb 2020
11:08am, 12 Feb 2020
4,723 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Sounds like a good plan tommy.

Lee - it can take a long time to get away from the finish, but a lot depends on how quickly you run and what your travel options are. Parking and driving near the finish can mean you are stuck in traffic for hours. The Metro too can be ram packed and a long wait, but faster finishers usually get away before the hordes!
Feb 2020
11:13am, 12 Feb 2020
19,159 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I always found the best plan was to drink beer from the moment I got my bag until most of the crowds had died down. We used to have an official Fetch meet-up at Mango's Beach Bar, I'd then get the bus back after most folk had already gone home.

Bus would take me to Newcastle Station, train home. Easy.

I did drive a couple of times, drove to South Shields early morning and found an interesting location to park for free which allowed me a reasonably quick exit.
Feb 2020
11:16am, 12 Feb 2020
139 posts
  •  
KeithL
Lee must admit this is one of my least favorite races. know others rave about it but I never saw the charm. The route is pretty dull and the crowds not as big as I thought until the last mile. The end and getting away is shocking to be honest. Add to that the costs now involved in the whole weekend and for me it just isnt worth it. But know I am in a minority
Feb 2020
11:28am, 12 Feb 2020
19,160 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'm inclined to agree Keith, to be honest. I was loyal to the event because it meant a lot to me, sentimentally. I enjoyed the weekend away, especially the kids' races and the city games on the Quayside, but I reckon that once you've done the race once, there's no real benefit in doing it again - it is an incredible experience to run in such a big crowd if you haven't done it before, but it's also a pain with the pushing and the barging and the bottles and the value for money argument won in the end. I've done two Baltic States and Sofia on considerably less money, and even my two Berlin Marathons came in only a touch more expensive for an extra couple of days.

However, it was a bucket list thing for me and the thing that started my running journey, so without it I'd have had none of the subsequent pleasures.

About This Thread

Maintained by tommy_b
I don’t recall entering. I may have had a few beers one night watching tv and entered?

But I se...