Great North Run 2014

19 watchers
Jul 2014
11:09am, 14 Jul 2014
174 posts
  •  
pink fairy
So I couldn't find a thread for this, so with 8 weeks to go I thought it was about time we got one started!

It will be my first GNR so really looking forward to it. I've not done a HM for 18 months (and this will only be my third) so gently increasing my long runs. I did 9 miles yesterday which I was pleased with as that was my longest run since the last HM!

Anyone else in?
Jul 2014
8:32am, 15 Jul 2014
5,616 posts
  •  
Pesto Maman
Hello :-) there are lots of us in. I'll see where some of them are :-)
Jul 2014
9:10am, 15 Jul 2014
17,725 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I'm here
I was hoping to do 7 miles today, but there's a scary dog at the farm at the top of the track and I'm too frightened :-(
Jul 2014
9:11am, 15 Jul 2014
5,618 posts
  •  
Pesto Maman
I think that's sensible :-( can you get a lift to somewhere else?
Jul 2014
9:14am, 15 Jul 2014
24,719 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Will be there.
Jul 2014
9:24am, 15 Jul 2014
176 posts
  •  
pink fairy
Does anyone know the course/ Newcastle well? I'm staying with a friend in Gateshead (Low Fell) but have no idea how to get from there to start finish. Will have my car so would be happy to drive to a station/ metro, but don't know what the best option is. I'll speak to my friend about it in due course but as a non-runner she is unlikely to understand me thinking about the logistics of 8 weeks time :) My partner and my friend (and her hubby) are likely to come and support me, but I was thinking it might just be easier for them to travel to near the finish and me to go to the start on my own?
Jul 2014
9:36am, 15 Jul 2014
24,720 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Metro will probably your best bet. Loads of info in race pack ref transport.
Jul 2014
9:40am, 15 Jul 2014
177 posts
  •  
pink fairy
Ok, that's good to know- a quick google says race packs are sent out 4 weeks before
Jul 2014
9:53am, 15 Jul 2014
3,086 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
pink fairy - I'd definitely suggest your partner/friend head for the finish rather than the start. It's pretty manic at the start and they can't really see you anyway once you are in the pens. I;d say get dropped off at Heworth Metro and then take the Metro to Haymarket and then follow the crown to the start - about 10-15 minutes walk - a wee bit further if you are starting in one of the further back pens. My recommendation would be to aim to get there for about 9:00-9:15 ish (takes about 10-15 mins on the Metro from Heworth to Haymarket) - that way plenty of time to fin the baggage buses, visit the loos, soak up the atmosphere and be in your pen in plenty of time. The other alternative is to drive to South Shields, park the car there and then get one of the shuttle buses to the start. Personally I would say best bet is for you all to aim for, say, Heworth Metro and they travel to South Sheilds and you to Haymarket as its crazy trying to get out of South Shields post race in a car. The Metros are very busy too but I think getting out in a car is worse.
Jul 2014
9:53am, 15 Jul 2014
3,087 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
oops - follow the crowd!

About This Thread

Maintained by
Sunday 7th September 2014

GNR website greatrun.org

Fetch listing http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewracedetails.php?id=94936