Going on holiday a month before my first marathon

1 watcher
Jul 2013
8:34pm, 10 Jul 2013
22 posts
  •  
Lordy Lumpkins
I booked to do Bournemouth marathon a while ago now, which is on 7 October. We went to book a holiday a few weeks ago, and could only get leave for a certain two week period in September, and we wanted to go to Fuerteventura. When we were originally looking, we thought we could only get a weeks stay from a Wednesday to a Wednesday, so that would be from 11 - 18 September (getting back 2 weekends before the marathon). I didn't think too much about this, as I thought I could push my long 20 mile run back a week.

Trouble is now, when we went to book it online, we fiddled around with the dates and realised that we could get an 11 night stay by flying out 7 September (a Saturday and 4 weeks before the marathon), so we went ahead and booked, which means we come back on 18 September, which gives me about 2 and a half weeks before the big day).

Any suggestions what to do about the 20 mile run? It was scheduled for 15 September, which is the second weekend we will be away (and a Sunday so 3 weekends before the marathon). I was going to do some runs over there anyway, but I really don't know if it's hot whether it would be a good idea to try to get in 20 miles over there. Failing that, is there any sense in pulling back the long run to the day before we go (4 weeks before)?
Jul 2013
8:36pm, 10 Jul 2013
3,464 posts
  •  
heebiejeebie
I'd do the long run earlier rather than risk not being able to do it at all.
Jul 2013
8:43pm, 10 Jul 2013
48,953 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Agree
Most important thing is to get to the start line rested and in one piece

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lordy Lumpkins
I booked to do Bournemouth marathon a while ago now, which is on 7 October. We went to book a holid...