Fetch Photographers

49 watchers
Nov 2014
9:28pm, 26 Nov 2014
249 posts
  •  
andydgg
even in the old days of film processors used to touch up the image before printing, they had lots of tricks same as the digital dark room
Nov 2014
9:30pm, 26 Nov 2014
18,883 posts
  •  
halfpint
I want to have the skill to capture a good photo in the first place.
Nov 2014
12:00pm, 27 Nov 2014
67,039 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Andy, indeed! I loved the darkroom. My mum blames it for me wearing glasses as I was always in there in the good old B&W days :)

HP, indeed and I think that is the key to photography! I am with Cuddy on the digital manipulation becoming a bit annoying. I like to actually create the photo in the wild, digital or not. I am rather partial to landscape and am VERY tempted to get myself one of those old, huge, plate camera's, cart it up onto the hill and compose a landscape and photograph it, much like you would paint a watercolour of it. In B&W as well...
Nov 2014
12:02pm, 27 Nov 2014
67,040 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Mind, I am glad for RAW files and photoshop for work. I photograph all the works of art for our catalogues, saving a vast fortune on fees. I use two builders lights, my old tripod and a reconditioned Nikon D80. I then transfer the RAW files to the computer and use photoshop to crop and adjust lighting. It looks like I have used expensive studio lights! I do have one of those pop out light tents for small sculpture and ceramics though. Mighty useful for glazed pieces!
Nov 2014
12:18pm, 27 Nov 2014
4,983 posts
  •  
Garfield
Very interesting Hanneke! I need to get out with my camera more often.
Nov 2014
12:34pm, 27 Nov 2014
67,042 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I am frustrated by the quality of my phone camera and my old, waterproof and shockproof, olympus Miu... The latter isn't half bad, but still not what I'd like. I cycle a lot in the hills and come accross the most fantastic landscapes. I find a compact camera isn't quite capable of catching the light the way my old Nikon SLR's did or even my father's old Voigtlander Vito B I started of with on the photography path. Practically, I used to be a much better photographer than I am now. This leads me to believe that the camera is as important as the eye of the photographer...
Nov 2014
12:36pm, 27 Nov 2014
4,986 posts
  •  
Garfield
I've had good results with a Panasonic TZ-7 in the past. It was quite good in lower light occasions. I need to get to know my Nikon DSLR a lot better...I just don't have time at the moment.
Nov 2014
12:42pm, 27 Nov 2014
67,043 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I was looking at a panasonic compact with a zeiss lense that had a reasonable amount of manipulation options, manually... and I think a good lense is of the essence. Alas a DSLR is too big, bulky and vulnereable to carry around with me...
Nov 2014
1:21pm, 27 Nov 2014
4,988 posts
  •  
Garfield
That's my problem too...big and bulky. I could do stuff locally on weekends though...must find the time to do that.
Nov 2014
2:06pm, 27 Nov 2014
67,045 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I used to go on walks etc specifically to take photo's in the past. Now I just like to have a camera with me for when I come accross something I want to photograph...

About This Thread

Maintained by Hamsterbolt