3 watchers
Apr 2013
8:50am, 12 Apr 2013
236 posts
  •  
twelveone
Allergic to running? Please God, no.

emedicine.medscape.com

Has anyone else come across this? I've been running for around 8 years, but the past few months have started getting an occasional allergic reaction when running. Starts out with skin feeling increasingly hot and itchy, then welts all over my torso, and face swells up like Mr. Stay Puft. Usually piriton will cure it in around 30min, but last night I had an extreme reaction, and totally lost my vision and became delirious, felt like I was going to pass out. Luckily I'd been to the allergy clinic at Royal Brompton the day before and they'd given me an EpiPen (adrenaline injection), which fixed me, but took an hour to get close to feeling normal again. Paramedics came and my bp was dangerously low, but gradually came back to normal levels after the adrenaline shot.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else has any experience/advice.

Gonna ask the doc for a big stash of EpiPens to take to London next week! :P
Apr 2013
9:35am, 12 Apr 2013
652 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Gosh - that sounds serious! Have you other allergies? Someone I know has loads and is really laid back about them but I wouldn't run again if someone told me I had this.....
Apr 2013
10:04am, 12 Apr 2013
237 posts
  •  
twelveone
Only mild asthma as a kid and hayfever occasionally. Not sure I can quit running because of this, just need to make sure I'm always prepared and have the meds to deal with it as and when it happens. The scariest part about it is if it comes on when there's no one else around. Needed my wife to call the ambulance last night as I couldn't see or speak!
Apr 2013
10:09am, 12 Apr 2013
2,676 posts
  •  
Mountain Cat
What about the environment you run in - could you be allergic to something there? (If indoors, possibly something at the gym - e.g. a cleaning product they use?)
Apr 2013
10:12am, 12 Apr 2013
3,283 posts
  •  
colettedeann
exercise/cold weather induced asthma - sometimes stops me runnning - but pump is great help

twelveone - sounds scary - hope you get to the bottom of the cause soon - and hope it isn't exercise that is the cause :(
Apr 2013
10:25am, 12 Apr 2013
238 posts
  •  
twelveone
Initially I thought it was something in the local park, then it happened a couple of times when I was just out on the roads. Have been keeping a log of what I've eaten every day that it's happened, only common thing so far is chilli. But I've never had an issue with that before. Thought it might also have something to do with the unusually cold winter we've had, but it was relatively mild yesterday evening. Maybe it is purely exercise induced :(
Apr 2013
10:29am, 12 Apr 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
Michael TwithaP
I was diagnosed with this several years ago.....been a lurker on the forum for ages but have just registered having seen this to comment!!

I had all sorts of blood tests and that but they were never able to find any allergies or anything. I believe I am allergic to my own sweat and that is what brings on the hives and the initial reaction. When I run for over an hour and leave sweaty clothes sitting against my skin, the hives always develop around the damp patches. I have been able to keep it under control so hopefully it won't stop you running. Anti-histamines keep mine under control, just pop one each time I train heavily. I have a repeat prescription for them.....
Apr 2013
10:55am, 12 Apr 2013
239 posts
  •  
twelveone
Thanks Michael, and welcome! I'm certainly going to make sure I pop a pill before *every* run from now on. I'd been a bit slack up until now.
Apr 2013
11:06am, 12 Apr 2013
14,989 posts
  •  
HellsBells
exercise-induced urticaria is a well recognised phenomenon - I've not been aware of progression to anaphylaxis previously though

patient.co.uk
Apr 2013
11:36am, 12 Apr 2013
15,705 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Running through an unpleasant, but essentially harmless urticarial reaction seems reasonable if you are willing to do it.
Running through an anaphylactic reaction that appears to be escalating in severity and has required adrenaline might be less wise...

About This Thread

Maintained by
Allergic to running? Please God, no.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/886641-overview#showa...