Cramp - new solution, it's the nerve not the muscle

7 watchers
Sep 2015
8:51pm, 16 Sep 2015
1,436 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Seemingly, someone has solved the problem as to what causes muscle cramps, and has a solution that will be out early next year.

running.competitor.com

I'm a bit sceptical, as always, but interesting to follow this as something I've suffered from on ultras or very hilly runs.

itsthenerve.com
Sep 2015
9:27pm, 16 Sep 2015
135 posts
  •  
Oranj
Hmm, I wonder what it is and whether it'll actually work. I suffer badly with cramp and night cramp and although I have my remedies. Crampex is the one that really prevent the night cramp at least, but it's been taken off the market in the last 3 months.
Sep 2015
10:59pm, 16 Sep 2015
10,771 posts
  •  
Dvorak
#scepticism. The scepticism is directed particularly at the forthcoming snake oil.
Oct 2015
2:05pm, 22 Oct 2015
5,840 posts
  •  
Rosehip
The scientist seems to know what he's talking about

en.wikipedia.org

and there is a proper patent for the magic cure
google.com

so maybe it isn't complete snake oil
Oct 2015
2:12pm, 22 Oct 2015
8,060 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I'd concur he's got a solid background - but so did Jacques Benveniste en.wikipedia.org before he came up with a justification for homeopathy!

Sounds interesting anyway
Oct 2015
2:13pm, 22 Oct 2015
5,841 posts
  •  
Rosehip
medpagetoday.com

trials ongoing
Oct 2015
2:21pm, 22 Oct 2015
5,842 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I'd not heard of him Chris - how interesting!

so to avoid cramps make a "tea" of ginger, pepper and cinnamon and give it a go - unless it upsets your stomach it's not going to do you any harm
Oct 2015
2:31pm, 22 Oct 2015
2,626 posts
  •  
Ceratonia
A nobel prize is no guarantee that it's not snake oil (step forward Linus Pauling and the vitamin C/common cold thing, plus various other bits of nonsense.)

The patent looks very interesting though and it's certainly an area where he's an expert. From the patent, the chilli, ginger and cinnamon have some individual effect, but the whole thing together seems to be more than the sum of its parts. Lots of data from human & animal trials, work at the cellular level etc. They're claiming a powder, sweet or drink that makes cramp go away after a few minutes and stay away for a few hours.
Oct 2015
10:52am, 23 Oct 2015
2,632 posts
  •  
Ceratonia
Quite an interesting interview (50 minutes of audio) on the science of this, at the bottom of the page here, including quite a lot of interesting information about how they think it works, what they tested etc. In particular, they reckon some people are quite prone to muscle cramps and training/race nutrition are not the major factors.

enduranceplanet.com
Oct 2015
11:27am, 23 Oct 2015
2,636 posts
  •  
Ceratonia
In summary, what rosehip said is pretty much the case. The statement is that a DIY spice mix might not be as convenient or have the optimal dosage as their future commercial product, but will work - it will prevent/remove exercise related muscle cramps for most people who have them.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by K5 Gus
Seemingly, someone has solved the problem as to what causes muscle cramps, and has a solution that w...