Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Cluster Headaches - Living with them and still being able to run

1 watcher
Mar 2012
10:04am, 2 Mar 2012
203 posts
sugs
Just been diagnosed with cluster headaches. Wonder if anyone out there has the same condition. Any advice appreciated.
Mar 2012
10:08am, 2 Mar 2012
11815 posts
JohnnyO
Horrible aren't they?

Depends how frequent you get them. Its been years since my last cluster, so I guess I am 'cured' though I don't know what did it.
I would have them for about three weeks at a time, about once a year. In between clusters I was absolutely fine though, no symptoms at all and could do anything I wanted.

Only used to get them in the evenings too, so I could go to work, just used to come home and sit in the dark until I eventually fell asleep. Miserable.
Mar 2012
10:10am, 2 Mar 2012
19544 posts
Velociraptor
There was a good thread about this fairly recently (which could mean any time in the last decade ... )

What are you using to treat them at the moment, sugs?
Mar 2012
10:14am, 2 Mar 2012
204 posts
sugs
Came out of hospital yesterday as had a week of misery and they wanted t check for a bleed. CT ok. They have given me Propranolol to trial and analgesia. This is the first time in over a week that i have felt normal again. Pretty scary as i didnt know what it was.
Mar 2012
10:14am, 2 Mar 2012
4619 posts
lammo
My dad gets these, he takes some sort of steroids i think when in the cluster, but like Johnny is fine for 11 mnths of the year, generally.

I don't think he exercises during the cluster, aside from some short slow walks to get some fresh air
Mar 2012
10:16am, 2 Mar 2012
4620 posts
lammo
Hmm interestingly sugs, my dad had a blood vessel burst in the lining of his brain about 25 years ago, which they glued up, he was on propranolol after that for years, but now takes something else.
Mar 2012
10:19am, 2 Mar 2012
19546 posts
Velociraptor
Propranolol is an interesting choice for prevention of cluster headache. Other medications are usually recommended, though only if you're getting frequent clusters and not after a first attack.

If it occurs again, don't hesitate to ask your GP for injectable sumatriptan - two doses a day while the cluster lasts.
Mar 2012
10:27am, 2 Mar 2012
205 posts
sugs
Thanks - I heard about the injection. I have to go back to clinic in 3 weeks time so will ask them when i go.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by sugs
Just been diagnosed with cluster headaches. Wonder if anyone out there has the same condition. Any...