Headaches

1 watcher
Feb 2013
3:52pm, 6 Feb 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
Caichi
Hi there

I'm new here and would like to ask for some advice. I used to run in my twenties (I am now over 40) and if I ran a long run, over 3 hrs say, I would have a cracking migrainne style headache that would start about an hr after finishing a run.

I tried to start back running last year and usede a couch to 5k program to get started. However I found that if I over exerted myself even a little these headaches came on (which are accompanied by feeling very cold and shakey). I live in Spain and had to give up running altogether from June as the heat would just make it worse.

I tried drinking lots of liquids before, during and after a run but it made no difference.

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this problem and how to tackle it as I would like to start back running again.
Feb 2013
4:05pm, 6 Feb 2013
14,463 posts
  •  
HellsBells
hi Caichi, welcome to Fetch

if you google "exercise induced headache" you'll find loads of information about this phenomenon

Basically, no-one really knows why they happen, but it is a well recognised happening - there's loads of info out there

Hope you find something that works for you
Feb 2013
4:44pm, 6 Feb 2013
2 posts
  •  
Caichi
Thanks HellsBells will check that out
Feb 2013
5:01pm, 6 Feb 2013
12,129 posts
  •  
Stander
I must confess I always thought this was due to dehydration, but obviously not according to what you say. But then I'm far from being any expert.
Feb 2013
5:01pm, 6 Feb 2013
12,130 posts
  •  
Stander
See your doc and query with him/her?
mar
Feb 2013
5:03pm, 6 Feb 2013
1,404 posts
  •  
mar
I have suffered from banging headaches post run...sound very similar...it doesnt seem to matter if I am well hydrated or not, whether its 5k or a long run, or whether its hot or cold....
Feb 2013
5:30pm, 6 Feb 2013
6,834 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
Dehydration
Tension in neck muscles
Bright sunshine making you screw your eyes up
Tiredness
Feb 2013
6:50pm, 6 Feb 2013
1,049 posts
  •  
wiener dog
I have always assumed dehydration too as that seemed to correlate with the only times I have had this, but having said that I know it's not your answer. I had a really bad one once though after taking Immodium before a race because I do suffer with my stomach. I dunno if it was coincidence or not but I also suffered the most awful cramps in my legs that time too. I have NEVER used Immodium again since ( tbh would rather sh*t myself than feel that bad again! ).
Feb 2013
7:09am, 7 Feb 2013
3 posts
  •  
Caichi
Thanks for all your comments.

II also assumed it was dehydration that was causing the headaches and was disappointed to find it wasn't. It could well bw tension in my neck and shoulders. I shall read up on this and see what helps. I'll check things out with my doctor too.

Mar - Have you find anything that helps?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi there

I'm new here and would like to ask for some advice. I used to run in my twenties (I am ...