Can orthotics be the only answer for some problems?

1 watcher
Feb 2012
9:51am, 14 Feb 2012
12,217 posts
  •  
hellen
I've had an ongoing knee problem for well over a year. It has put me out a few times for months and other times for just a few days after a hard effort.

The physio has shown me how to tape it which usually means it is OK and I have been doing shorter runs without tape - problem is mistracking kneecap.

Last time I saw the physio 6 weeks ago he gave me some more exercises and also asked if I had considered orthotics. I hadnt and asked how long I should give these new exercises. He said about 6 weeks I should notice a difference.

My knee has been getting a bit better and I have been doing more runs without the tape (still using for longer runs). But this weekend I did two marathons and it has set my knee off again so much so that it was really painful yesterday and I skipped me evening run.

So, should I try the othotics route? It is going to be very expensive and I alternate my shoes so think they are going to be a bit of a faff changing them between shoes all the time. Or should I see this weekend as a relapse from overdoing it and give the new exercises a bit more time as they did seem to be working to a certain extent eg previously I found after about 3-4 days of running with no tape, now I can run every week day with no tape but put it back on for the weekend long run.
Feb 2012
9:36pm, 15 Feb 2012
2,156 posts
  •  
heebiejeebie
I'm no expert here, but if it was me I'd give the exercises a bit more time to have an effect before considering orthotics. LionBar got orthotics and still seems to be permanently on the verge of injury.
Feb 2012
9:42pm, 15 Feb 2012
12,228 posts
  •  
hellen
Thnaks heebs, spoke to physio and he said that because her exercises have shown a bit of improvement I need to keep going as it will take longer to get to full fixing

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by hellen
I've had an ongoing knee problem for well over a year. It has put me out a few times for months an...