Borders running

1 watcher
Jul 2016
11:24am, 2 Jul 2016
13,467 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
I want to run from Carlisle to Edinburgh in bits over a couple of years. I don't really mind how I go - even via Glasgow or Newcastle is fine. The obvious way is sort-of along the A7. It looks to me from the map as if there are quiet "yellow" roads, or tracks/paths as alternatives to the A7 for most of the way. From Google streetview, I get the impression the A7 itself has so little traffic that a runner wouldn't mind standing by the side of the road whenever a car comes.

Has anyone got any experience or advice? I'm thinking that to aim for 10 miles per outing will be about right, with 12-15 feasible.

I would prefer to avoid the most challenging of hills and mud.

There is a decent bus service along the A7, which will stop on request anywhere outside towns.
Jul 2016
11:53am, 2 Jul 2016
1,884 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I don't know the A7 down near Carlisle, but I'd say the Galashiels to Edinburgh section is a pretty busy main road, with lots of lorries and vans, as well as cars, so I'd think you'd be doing a lot of stepping off onto the verges to let traffic past. Not sure whether the verges are wide enough and cut back enough to run on, I'd imagine it varies quite a bit along the road.
Jul 2016
12:01pm, 2 Jul 2016
34,020 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
At the Carlisle end it should be relatively straightforward, with a bit of planning, to avoid the A7 itself without finding yourself on a road that suddenly turns into a muddy vertical trail. I wouldn't run on the A7 itself.
Jul 2016
12:59pm, 2 Jul 2016
13,469 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Thanks, both. I have more or less found ways, with the longest deviation being to avoid Teviothead and going past Hermitage instead. That requires the B6399 to be fairly quiet.
Jul 2016
1:44pm, 2 Jul 2016
34,021 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'd like to meet up for one of your runs on this side of the route, if time permits.
Jul 2016
1:53pm, 2 Jul 2016
13,472 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
You may have to wait a year or two, but there again, it could be September. Or at the moment I'm thinking of the first 10 miles out of Carlisle in 10 days' time, on the evening of the 13th possibly.
Jul 2016
1:57pm, 2 Jul 2016
34,022 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
The 13th's the Wednesday, isn't it? I know I'm at work all day that day :(
Jul 2016
2:32pm, 2 Jul 2016
13,473 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
I'll get in touch.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by ChrisHB
I want to run from Carlisle to Edinburgh in bits over a couple of years. I don't really mind how I ...