Running routes in Scotland, Balmaha and Edinburgh specifically.

1 watcher
Aug 2012
10:43am, 14 Aug 2012
1,672 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Hello :-)

Will be in Scotland next week on hols. Need to try and get some running in due to an impending race. If the leg holds up, not too far distances but 7-10k routes.

Can just step out the door and go running of course, but I do have a horrendous abilty in getting lost. Wondered if anyone in those areas (Staying in East Mayfield in Edinburgh) might be able to suggest a couple of routes?

Ta.
Aug 2012
11:01am, 14 Aug 2012
1,324 posts
  •  
Lyns
from east mayfield it's got to be arthur's seat - just head north a couple of blocks on dalkeith road till you reach the royal commonwealth pool and then turn towards the great big hill you see behind it... left at the first wee round about then either way at the next - a circle on the road back to that roundabout again is a touch under 5km. if you go right you'll finish with an uphill drag and take the steepest bit in the downhill direction, if you go left you'll take the steepest bit uphill but finish with a touch of downhill... also, depends on the time of day - if morning i'd go right as you'll get sunrise over the sea, if evening go left and you'll get sunset (or fireworks) over the castle.

there's a big running / lightshow thingy on in the evenings from 9pm but if you stick to that road you'll be fine. best to go before 9 though so it's light as no street lighting on the top bit.
Aug 2012
11:35am, 14 Aug 2012
1,675 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Thanks Lyns, will print out and try and memorise before the running. Sounds a great route!

Thinking of signing up as a reserve for that Speed of Light thing, but think the distance might be pushing it for me right now.
Aug 2012
11:48am, 14 Aug 2012
1,325 posts
  •  
Lyns
the distance is only 5k (somebody had a garmin on the other night) but you really need fell/trail shoes if it's wet and you have to be able to keep up on the steep slippy hillside... it's more like interval training than any distance issue... on the tech rehersal there was only one section of a couple of minutes where i was really red lining and one other section when i was pushing hard physically, the rest is more about the trickiness of the terrain in the dark and takes a lot of focus.
Aug 2012
1:18pm, 14 Aug 2012
1,677 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Yeah, I have my first Half three weeks after the holiday, and have a bif of a leg issue, so don't want to be pushing things too much. A flat 10km or 5-7km that is a bit hilly is enough for me right now!
Aug 2012
1:50pm, 14 Aug 2012
17,861 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
You could be a walking guide Herman. If they're still looking for volunteers. Ask SpicedApple about it. She's doing it. And it's from 9pm - about 1am so quite a big commitment of time too.

Balmaha is on WHW. Just follow the signs! :-)G
Aug 2012
2:15pm, 14 Aug 2012
1,678 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Good point, though not sure if I can swing that with the gf. Running the thing maybe, not taking up a few hours as a walking guide ;-)

Balmaha sounds straightforward then. Guess I can just stick by a Loch as well!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
Hello :-)

Will be in Scotland next week on hols. Need to try and get some running in due to an im...