•  
TnoP
Well said Rev :)
Apr 2014
6:23pm, 26 Apr 2014
2,531 posts
  •  
Bru-Bru
Adrienne Wald ran her first mara in 4h49 - I looked it up - so Girlie, when you say you were hoping for 5 hours at Kent Roadrunner and worried about being too slow, you can have the satisfaction of knowing, if you have a good run, you are at least quicker than than the person making the snotty comments!! There's a place for serious races - not for me - and for mostly-participation events rather than runs but people who enter the wrong type of event and complain about the other competitors are just missing the point.
Apr 2014
6:33pm, 26 Apr 2014
10,111 posts
  •  
Girlie
Bru-Bru- that made me smile:-) She can't have done herself any favours making such comments.
Apr 2014
10:22pm, 26 Apr 2014
1,665 posts
  •  
Squares
I have really enjoyed the blogs of new marathon runners, and winced at the injury lists... I think it's great to take part in a sport where world champions run over the same timing mats as us slow plodders.
I run because I enjoy running, I'm racing against myself, Mo was halfway to shields before I crossed the start line last year!
Keep running chaps you are amazing
Apr 2014
12:16am, 27 Apr 2014
120 posts
  •  
Gary Fatbloke
Girlie,

I completed the Kent Roadrunner Marathon last year. It was my first marathon, at 52, and I finished in 5 hours and 11 minutes. As Lemon said earlier the whole event, the other runners, the race organisers and the spectators were all extremely supportive. I actually think the lapped nature of the course helps us lesser mortals, you will find other runners who are going through the same pain/emotions as you but they may be a few laps ahead of you. You can encourage them and they can encourage you, if you're at all concerned have a read of the thread about the race on here and that will put your mind at rest.

As for the article, the less said about it the better. I'll see you on 31st May!
Apr 2014
8:19am, 27 Apr 2014
10,112 posts
  •  
Girlie
Cheers Gary- I'll look out for you- I shall be in my blue Bushfield Joggers shirt:-) Knowing there will be a Fetch Fest there does make it easier:-) I've never run a lapped course before, all my previous ones were point-to-point city type ones.
Apr 2014
9:52am, 27 Apr 2014
2,621 posts
  •  
phôôk
Scott S - there is (or was?) a company that produced shirts based on marathon times - different colours for different times. Maybe an incentive for you?
Apr 2014
9:56am, 27 Apr 2014
17,595 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
^Xempo
Apr 2014
10:23am, 27 Apr 2014
14,235 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Without reading this specific article, I agree with what JohnnyO said on the first page. Over the years I've seen lots of articles that say something derogatory about genuine people who are giving their all. They get shared, they get trillions of comments, and they keep getting written - and that may well be connected to the size of audience that they generate. I would much rather write something that says positive things - even if it doesn't generate such a commotion.
Apr 2014
10:39am, 27 Apr 2014
11,371 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Exactly. We - t'missus and I - have noticed how running is THE most inclusive sport.

For example, we have parkrun which genuinely encourages and celebrates people's self-improvement. You still get the speedy Gonzales types coming round in 15 or 16 mins and people like me coming in in twice that time or more. But both ends are encouraged and applauded by the marshalls. In many cases, a parkrun will have a tail-runner, not there as a sweeper to pull you off the course if you don't reach a certain pace, but to make sure everyone's accounted for and back safely.

Big marathons too. Is there any other sport where you've got the elite running the same course as a bloke in a rhino suit?

I suppose cycling is the closest thing, but even there, if you're taking part in races, you're not plodding along at the back, you'll be faster than that. Only in running will you get such a range of abilities in the same event.

About This Thread

Maintained by Squares
I read this http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/23/sports/23marathon.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1& "Plodders...