Organising my own race

7 watchers
May 2011
10:16am, 4 May 2011
1,886 posts
  •  
Doctor K
Myself and a friend used to organise a regular 10 mile walk in support of a lung cancer charity. A lot of it was on public paths over land owned by United Utilities (in the North West) . I can only say that they were always helpful and never once put any barriers in the way, on one occasion on Darwen Moor they even temporarily re-opened a closed path over a new pipeline that was being laid and left out a piece so we could walk through. That apparently is not the way tobuild a pipeline but illustrates what some organisations will do.

Always approach with optimism !
May 2011
11:01am, 4 May 2011
24 posts
  •  
Shoe-lace
DeeGee, if you've not already seen it I'm doing a marathon survey (See Race discussion thread title "Marathon Survey") asking people what's most important to them in a marathon. It might be useful for you too...
or go straight to the survey: surveymonkey.com
May 2011
11:39am, 4 May 2011
5,815 posts
  •  
Forest Faerie
DeeGee - have you thought about contacting the LDWA (Long Distance Walking Association), they do a lot of low key challenge events (open to runners) that include the marathon distance. They don't have marshals to guide you round the course, just a list of directions and manned checkpoints every so often.

ldwa.org.uk
Feb 2012
12:43pm, 22 Feb 2012
11,093 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'm dragging this up again, as I've found a five mile off-road loop using public rights of way, with no obstacles other than a small, sturdy wooden footbridge which has a 1.2 mile off-road section from a free public car park - an ideal candidate for a marathon. A small part of it crosses a caravan park and the managers have raised no objections to a little race happening.

I've e-mailed Foxy for his advice.

If it happens it's going to be low-key, but I'll get it permitted and such if interest implies that it's a goer.

The loop is about one mile through the holiday park, two miles across farmland, and two miles along the dunes. Obviously a table could be erected at the end of the loop.

Would this be the sort of thing that people might like? Is there anything else I need to think of?
Feb 2012
10:17am, 23 Feb 2012
11,103 posts
  •  
DeeGee
The answer to that last question is toilets! Oops! Back to the drawing board.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
There's a few of you that do this, and I'm thinking about it (merely thinking at the moment). I'v...