Any thoughts or advice? Calf pain a week before a marathon.

4 watchers
Sep 2011
7:44pm, 25 Sep 2011
468 posts
  •  
NRGEE
I strained my calf muscle last Thursday.I first felt a tight achilles, then I got a gradual pain in the calf. Physio says its just "tight" not a tear. 10days later I still can't run:-(

Have had sports massage on calf- which was really painful and I have come out in bruises!!:-0
Am massaging calf myself after the usual RICE
Hope you have better luck than me RicC
Sep 2011
8:52pm, 26 Sep 2011
777 posts
  •  
RicC
Sorry to hear that NRGEE, that doesn't sound good at all! Hope you recover soon.

I took it easy all weekend and saw the physio tonight who said that muscle was 'blocked' - I apparently wasn't stretching my who calf properly so the build up of lactic acid so the inside bit was just building up and going solid. I've had a pretty serious pummelling (nowt unusual there though) and the calf is quite tender but feeling much better. I think I might manage Mabo after all! :)
Sep 2011
9:02pm, 26 Sep 2011
470 posts
  •  
NRGEE
Really hope you manage Mabo RicC
I've been told my bruises are reactionary to the deep tissue massage.
Saw physio today- he says another week off running.
I am cross training(XTRAINER and EX BIKE)- physio says to continue this. I'll be interested to know if you develop bruising after your "serious pummelling"......
My marathon is laps(x5). I am still holding out hope of starting the race and I can "call it a day" if necessary(as I am never too far from the start/finish)
Sep 2011
10:20pm, 26 Sep 2011
5,305 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Glad to hear the physio (Was it A? :-)) was able to help you and you're more hopeful re Mablethorpe! I didn't know you were doing it - it's a fair distance away. Fingers crossed you'll be feeling much better in the next couple of days.

Of course, the same goes for NRGEE, too!

I'm off to see A on Wednesday to hear whether I can start at Kielder or not.
Sep 2011
9:21pm, 30 Sep 2011
780 posts
  •  
RicC
Hey NRGEE - no bruises here, although a bit of reddening. Can't say that I bruise that easily though and I know everyone is different. It is still sore that and I still have concerns that it wasn't sufficient or has left me in too fragile a state but hey... nowt I can do now!!

Hope the x-training is going ok - definitely keeps you ticking over. Another week is tough psychologically though. And good point re your marathon - the maps will make it much easier to cope with and should give you more confidence to give it a go!
Sep 2011
9:25pm, 30 Sep 2011
781 posts
  •  
RicC
Hi SpicedApple - yep, it was A and jeezo, a grown man has never got me that close to tears before!! I thought my tibia was bending at one point! And I've got the joy of a post-race appointment next Wednesday!

Definitely much better but not 100%. Gonna give it a blast as you never know! :) I'm one of the championship people at Mabo so will be representing my work team - not an obvious choice otherwise I guess!

Hope Wednesday went well and you got good news about Kielder - definitely one on my list as it sounds like a great race! My fingers are crossed!!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RicC
Evenin' all,

I've got my main race of the autumn next weekend - Mablethorpe Marathon - and the ...