Tight painful calves - cause?

3 watchers
Mar 2016
8:35pm, 3 Mar 2016
20,376 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
There's medical thinking that stiff big toe joints can cause Achilles problems. A podiatrist told me. He had me doing flexing exercises with my big toes
Mar 2016
9:04pm, 3 Mar 2016
28,313 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
I got calf problems when I started to run more in shoes with a smaller heel-toe drop. I didn't run only in the lower drop shoes (I was getting my legs used to them gradually so alternated them with my regular shoes) but once I stopped running in them altogether the tightness stopped. Whether it was the swapping or the fact that I just didn't get on with the smaller drop I don't know.

And stretch!
Mar 2016
9:59pm, 3 Mar 2016
657 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
That's interesting about the big toes DT, do you have any links to the toe exercises?

My husband can kneel down with his toes tucked under and the balls of his big toes flat on the ground, mine get nowhere near. I thought he had amazingly flexible toes but now I think he is normal and I have the weird toes!
Mar 2016
9:59pm, 3 Mar 2016
658 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
That's interesting about the big toes DT, do you have any links to the toe exercises?

My husband can kneel down with his toes tucked under and the balls of his big toes flat on the ground, mine get nowhere near. I thought he had amazingly flexible toes but now I think he is normal and I have the weird toes!
Mar 2016
10:24pm, 3 Mar 2016
1,776 posts
  •  
RRR-CAZ
Carp could be a number issues I always have calf problems lots of heel drops on steps after a while heel drops with weight on back. As others said lots of stretching and your already rolling. I have a massage every few weeks just for calfs especially when mileage is up. Also when cold I always run with calfs covered to help keep them warm. I also have heel raises in my shoes. To much mileage to soon has also caused me calf/Achilles issues
A little experimenting needed to see what suits/ works for you.
Mar 2016
10:35pm, 3 Mar 2016
8,917 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Might be too sharp an increase in mileage. I went a bit overboard in Feb.

A swim has helped and I think I'm going to switch fully to the new shoes and see what happens. Five miles tomorrow and three or so on Saturday will hopefully let me see where I am for 20 on Sunday.
Mar 2016
5:28pm, 20 Mar 2016
9,108 posts
  •  
Carpathius
The pain is back! :( It's been fine until today.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Carpathius
Today's run started ok but within a mile I had painfully tight calf muscle in one leg, at the back ...