Any thoughts or advice? Calf pain a week before a marathon.

4 watchers
Sep 2011
7:57pm, 24 Sep 2011
772 posts
  •  
RicC
Evenin' all,

I've got my main race of the autumn next weekend - Mablethorpe Marathon - and the training and other races have been going well so it was looking good for a decent PB attempt, however two days ago I managed to pull my calf. I've done lots of googling and reading of Runners World Complete Guide to Running etc and I'm pretty sure it is just a pull rather than a tear and so I've not run at all today, I've iced it, compressed it and am now elevating it!

My first question is does anyone have any other advice or experience of such an injury?

And my second request is can someone tell me not to be so bloody stupid as to be considering my final 12 miler tomorrow and that in reality I'm unlikely to lose much fitness even if I don't run at all between now and next Sunday as the stupid part of my brain (currently assessed to be bigger than previously thought! :) ) is struggling with these concepts!

Thanks,

RicC
Sep 2011
8:02pm, 24 Sep 2011
773 posts
  •  
RicC
Oh, and I've got a physio/sports massage appointment on Monday too so I really should be able to keep myself sensible til then but I am struggling!!
Sep 2011
8:20pm, 24 Sep 2011
14,368 posts
  •  
swittle
Deffo bin your 12 t'mrw. You could risk a very steady 5 with walk breaks perhaps [well, you *did* ask ;)] but abandon at 1st hint of pain.

Or do your 12 and allow one day to ruin a season's prep. Up to you.

Your treatment seems AOK - some anti-inflamms, p'haps?
Sep 2011
8:37pm, 24 Sep 2011
1,681 posts
  •  
RichHL
Well you could run your 12 miles tomorrow then see if you could get a wheelchair entry for your race. Numpty.

DON'T RUN!

Rest it. Ice it. Compress it. Elevate it.

And prepare for your physio to be very, very unpleasant.

I hope you get to the start line in Mablethorpe. Good luck! :-)
Sep 2011
8:39pm, 24 Sep 2011
8,027 posts
  •  
paul a
RICE and you will be fine.
Sep 2011
8:40pm, 24 Sep 2011
8,028 posts
  •  
paul a
Any training you do will take about 2 weeks to take effect so missing your 12 miler will have absolutely no physical negative impact.
Sep 2011
8:41pm, 24 Sep 2011
152 posts
  •  
Springer
Hopefully it's just pre race paranoia
Sep 2011
8:50pm, 24 Sep 2011
774 posts
  •  
RicC
Thanks - the verbal kick up the arse that I needed! :) 12 miler definitely binned. Chuffed with the use of the word numpty. Great info re unpleasant physio, length of time for training to take effect etc.

Sadly not paranoia - wish it was but it hurts too much walking up and down stairs.

Much appreciated all!
Ted
Sep 2011
9:19pm, 24 Sep 2011
10,077 posts
  •  
Ted
Ric, if you want to finish Mabelthorpe tomorrow then run your 12 miler tomorrow, otherwise save yourself for the race itself. There are no medals for running tomorrow.

And and your phys can tell you what is exactly wrong on Monday and patch you up to finish the race itself. Then you get a medal.
Sep 2011
9:29pm, 24 Sep 2011
776 posts
  •  
RicC
Thanks Ted - you're right, no medals for running tomorrow and I do like medals! :)

About This Thread

Maintained by RicC
Evenin' all,

I've got my main race of the autumn next weekend - Mablethorpe Marathon - and the ...