All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews - Fetch Book Group discussion thread
4:45pm, 1 Dec 2015
McGoohanThis is a thread for discussion of this book. Read on and write on if you have read it!
4:24pm, 17 Dec 2015
mulbsQuite liked this one, I have three sisters who I love dearly but can't imagine having a relationship with any of them that's so kindred-spirity-I feel-your-painy though . . . maybe I'm just cold-hearted? found the pattern within the family interesting, along with the idea of whether it's stronger to stay and fight or to end it. I did think at one point that it would be Elf who survived and Yoli who went. I've a relative who has mental health issues and his experiences have been somewhat mixed but thankfully not as bleak as described here.
6:10pm, 20 Dec 2015
ColumbaI was intrigued by this book for about the first one-third or one-quarter, but then stopped being able to believe in the characters. Possibly, as mulbs says, the "kindred spirit I feel your pain" is just not credible. By the time I was getting towards the end, I didn't care whether Elf - or anyone else - lived or died. It wasn't just Elf and Yoli, but their mother and her sister too. And Julia and Elf.
1:26pm, 6 Jan 2016
westmoorsI really struggled with this, not because of the subject matter, more to do with the writing style. Are quotation marks a thing of the past now? I often had to re-read sections as I hadn't realised conversations had started/stopped.
I didn't feel any connection with any of the characters which probably didn't help either. Took me a long time to read as I just wasn't compelled to pick it up.
Gave it a 6/10.
About This Thread
- Book Group Feb 2024
- Book Club Archive Jan 2024
- Down to the Sea in Ships - Book Group Oct 2022 discussion thread Nov 2023
- Olive Kitteridge - July 2021 Book Group discussion thread Mar 2023
- A Christmas Memory - Dec 2022 Book Group Discussion Thread Mar 2023
- Summerwater - Nov 2022 Book Group discussion thread Dec 2022
- The Dark Is Rising - Book Group discussion thread Dec 2022
- Elmet - Jan 2022 Book Group discussion thread Feb 2022
- A Christmas Carol - Dec 2021 Book Group discussion thread Dec 2021
- Homegoing - April 2021 Book Group Discussion Thread Nov 2021
Buy a Fetch buff
Order now for immediate dispatch!
Join us in 2024 for a part-virtual, part-gathering endurance event to celebrate 20 years of Fetcheveryone!
See all your training overlaid on one interactive map. A great way to remember everywhere you've been
Race Listings League
Which Fetchies have done the most to make our race listings as awesome as they are?