Advice for first race

1 watcher
May 2013
11:47pm, 12 May 2013
306 posts
  •  
Craig_
A good race strategy for the day is to get to the halfway point feeling reasonably fresh. You can then make some decisions about whether to ease it home, maintain the same pace or step it up a bit and you know in terms of distance you've got the same to do again. I've found it's a good way to manage the race-day excitement and to make sure the body is all working properly and nicely warmed up for the second half. And, it usually leads to fairly even splits.

And don't worry too much about pushing on in the last few km. Just listen to the body and have fun... :)
May 2013
9:53am, 13 May 2013
102 posts
  •  
Vicky W
Rev - enjoy it and feel proud of yourself for lining up to do it :-)

Don't get sucked into what the other people round you are doing and start too fast - its a much nicer feeling to speed up halfway than to hang on!
May 2013
10:51am, 13 May 2013
1,672 posts
  •  
Mykey
Rev-I felt fine and believe I could have pushed a bit more earlier on - I was conservative until half way an then picked up the pace a bit. I was HR training at the time and remember seeing my HR already well above what I was used to on an easy run even before I crossed the start line. Enjoy and let us know how you get on.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RevBarbaraG
I run my first 10K next Saturday (trailblazer at Clumber Patk), having only been running regularly s...