Jul 2018
11:54pm, 7 Jul 2018
4 posts
  •  
Menstrie_Runner
Evening Fetchies,

I just thought I’d share this...

dynamicstasis.blog

It’s a blog post I put together about attempting three ultras (42m, 53m, 95m) on the West Highland Way a couple of years ago.

If anyone takes a look I hope you find it interesting.

JB
Jul 2018
2:49pm, 8 Jul 2018
944 posts
  •  
oumaumau
Thanks for this Menstrie_Runner - I've book marked it for my morning read tomorrow. Have done the Fling, so looking forward to reading about the top end of the course (twice?) to see whether I should try for all three sometime
Jul 2018
12:48pm, 10 Jul 2018
5 posts
  •  
Menstrie_Runner
Thanks oumaumau, I'll be interested to hear what you think?

Did you like the Highland Fling?
Jul 2018
8:16pm, 10 Jul 2018
945 posts
  •  
oumaumau
A very enjoyable read. Plenty of detail without getting bogged down or self indulgent.

I really enjoyed the Fling, it has a great atmosphere, is well organised and it's cracking route. I think I'd only do it again as part of a Triple Crown attempt - I find a series of races pretty compelling. Is the Devil a lottery now too?

Maybe one to try for 2020, as I'm hoping to complete the Hardmoors Triple Ring next year, while it's still a first come first served entry.
Jul 2018
9:52pm, 10 Jul 2018
577 posts
  •  
DavidAP
The Highland Fling is an awesome race.

Although I've given up running beyond 10km, I would like to run that race properly one day. ;-)
Jul 2018
12:52pm, 11 Jul 2018
9 posts
  •  
Menstrie_Runner
Thanks oumaumau. Yes the Devil is a ballot now too (FWIW I find that part of the WHW more scenic and enjoyable for running than the Fling section).

I think the ballots are the biggest issue for the Triple Crown now - all three races are over-subscribed, so getting a place for each in the same year becomes quite difficult.

Good luck for 2020!
ERM
Jul 2018
10:18am, 12 Jul 2018
433 posts
  •  
ERM
Enjoyed reading those and particularly liked the shots of the scenery. Also confirmed to me that not matter what you've just run, kids are always more interested in the freebies that you bring home (and that is quite some goblet !)
Jul 2018
12:35pm, 12 Jul 2018
10 posts
  •  
Menstrie_Runner
Ha ha! Yes - he certainly was more interested in that! Thanks for checking it out!
Jul 2018
7:27pm, 12 Jul 2018
11 posts
  •  
Menstrie_Runner
By the way, for anyone who is interested in the West Highland Way Race, this excellent film was shared on their fb Page last night:

m.youtube.com

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Menstrie_Runner
Evening Fetchies,

I just thought I’d share this...

https://dynamicstasis.blog/2017/04/21/th...