when can i run after the removal of my tonsills l

1 watcher
Jul 2011
6:53pm, 17 Jul 2011
635 posts
  •  
kevin scott
i know my doc will tell me about it ,but was wanting to know if anyone else has had the same done,,i am also getting a cyst removed from my neck in hospital in the morning!!
Jul 2011
4:39pm, 19 Jul 2011
1,726 posts
  •  
heebiejeebie
After I had my tonsils out I didn't run any further than 200m for about 12 years. Mind you, I was only 7 when I had it done.
Aug 2011
10:22pm, 2 Aug 2011
First-time poster!!
  •  
GioFitz
I had mine taken out 3 years ago. I was back running after about 6 weeks, but as always it depends on how you feel...hope the op went/goes well!
Aug 2011
10:40pm, 2 Aug 2011
1,575 posts
  •  
ndellar
I had my tonsils out in 2008, I was signed off from work for 2 weeks, and had my first run 2 weeks afer the operation and built back up slowly. I had been doing a fair amount of running up until then when not ill wit tonsilitis - had reasonable fitness leading up to the op. The doctors said this was ok for me to exercise after 2 weeks so I took them at their word.

I was so petrified of the op and the pain afterwards - but for me it was certainly no worse than having tonsilitis itself. Everyone is different I suppose. Best thing they could have done for me - I've hardly been ill since, and if I am its just a head cold lasting a day or two.

Best tip I can give is start eating / drinking ASAP, scratchy foods like cornflakes and crisps, and chewing gum helps the healing process.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by kevin scott
i know my doc will tell me about it ,but was wanting to know if anyone else has had the same done,,i...