Wet suit advice

1 watcher
May 2013
1:00pm, 24 May 2013
510 posts
  •  
More of a Tortoise
PS. I'm thinking that dislocating your shoulder in T1 is going to make cycling a little tricky Richmac!!
May 2013
1:43pm, 24 May 2013
7,015 posts
  •  
richmac
Not really

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/cms-27
May 2013
2:38pm, 24 May 2013
438 posts
  •  
manda_r
let me speak to a couple of people in the know this weekend and see what they suggest. I would go sleevess (Alhtough you might struggle to find one over here - I have had a conversation with blueseventy about this). Would a rash vest be easier to take off? As potentially (if need for cold rather than speed (as won't help with that)) that works.
Jun 2013
12:10pm, 1 Jun 2013
5,239 posts
  •  
martin K
i have got shoulder tendonitis (Calcium Based) and been having physio (Ultrasound) on my shoulder for 2 sessions now and i did my first triathlon last week and my wetsuit is a Zone 3 and it fitted a treat with NO problems with the cold water lake, infact there was no pain at all in my shoulder
Jul 2013
10:11pm, 2 Jul 2013
51 posts
  •  
SlowSteph!
Re the idea of buying a wetsuit too big and trimming it, I would not advise this as the suit will be too loose. Basically it'll fill with water and be a like wearing a big water filled bag. Weighing you down and def slowing you down. Usually the only reason for full wetsuits is due to the temperature of the water. You can buy sleevless and shortie wetsuits as long as youll be warm enough. some organisers say they insist on full wetsuits because of the buoyancy aid if somebody gets into trouble but There is little or no buoyancy associated with the arms as this is made from the thinnest material so it doesn't restrict arm movement and because you really don't need buoyancy here, it's the legs that benefit from extra buoyancy.
Also, although legs are usually made for a bit of trimming (up to the unprotected seam) the arms are not (usually) so would pose a problem. I would think the sensible option would be a sleeveless suit and could you possibly strap your arm to the outside of your suit somehow?

Hope this is of help and not causing you even more confusion!

Best of luck anyway. Swimming with 2 fully functioning arms is testing enough for us mere mortals so I'm hugely impressed with what you're doing :-)
Jul 2013
2:12pm, 9 Jul 2013
7,266 posts
  •  
richmac
Cheers Steph,

The answer I've come to is a wet suit that fits and because of the extra bouyancy my arm causes less of a problem than when in the pool. I've taken to wearing a tri belt with a loop in it to hold the arm in place when swimming. It's like so many things I've faced in life a case of man up, adapt and overcome.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by richmac
My fetch friends, as I'm embarking on on my open water swim Tri 'career' I need to buy a wet suit...