Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Wet suit advice

1 watcher
May 2013
8:46am, 23 May 2013
7011 posts
  •  
richmac
My fetch friends, as I'm embarking on on my open water swim Tri 'career' I need to buy a wet suit, and all advice greatfully received.

I'm thinking the budget will be the cheap end of the market, the 'entry level' ones on wiggle are about £100. So unless 2nd hand ones are abundant 3that's what I'll end up with.

big question is sleeves or sleeveless? for me Sleeveless would negate having to stuff my arm into a suit then drag it out again in T1. Another option is go with sleaves, cut one of the sleeves off but I imagine that would have implications for the bouyancy of the rest of the suit. In Blairite tradition, a mate at HH's came up with a 3rd way, wear my arm inside the suit when I swim, roll the arm up & tie it off. Problem with this is I'd probably have to buy a slightly oversize suit as taylor made isn't an option, which may lead to loose legs etc.

So comments, ideas & pointers.

Thanks
May 2013
12:03pm, 23 May 2013
437 posts
  •  
manda_r
Is there any other reason apart from transition timing for sleeveless. I would say anything you would lose in T1 trying to get sleeves off would be negated by wearing sleeves.
May 2013
12:11pm, 23 May 2013
5170 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
I don't really understand what you mean, particularly about the 3rd way.

Sleeves will help you swim faster and don't really take any longer to get off in transition. Most (if not all) swim-specific wetsuits have sleeves on, not sure why you'd cut them off when they've been designed in.
May 2013
12:45pm, 23 May 2013
508 posts
  •  
More of a Tortoise
I'm thinking that Richmac has problems with one of his arms.... partial or whole loss of use?

Have no advice to give I'm afraid but would like to hijack the thread if you don't mind:
I'm also considering getting a wetsuit at the cheaper end of the market but my issue is my sheer bulk!! I'm 167cm (5' 6" ish) and wear size 20 clothes which is basically way off the end of most manufacturer's size charts. Can anyone suggest any brands or specific models that are more generously cut? Cheers :)
May 2013
12:50pm, 23 May 2013
404 posts
  •  
Tomsmum
Apparently Snugg are the way to go as they make wetsuits to order and are not too expensive. I am graduating from an entry level suit as the buoyancy is evenly distributed and all wrong for me.
snuggwetsuits.co.uk
May 2013
12:55pm, 23 May 2013
56 posts
  •  
Aspen
Another vote for Snugg. I was surprised by how affordable they were, and the made-to-measure suit fits like, well, a second skin.

It's not like you just give them height/chest/waist and they knock up something approximate, either - there's something like 14 separate measurements that you send them.

I'd strongly suggest giving them a call to discuss your specific issues, they may have some good advice. 'Saving' money by buying a cheaper wettie isn't any kind of saving if it then doesn't work for you.

You might also want to check whether there are any specific regulations regarding if sleeved/sleeveless are acceptable under UK tri rules....
May 2013
12:56pm, 23 May 2013
5174 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
Ah. I see. Probably try the 3rd way but in a suit that fits the rest of you. Tuck the redundant sleeve completely inside the body to give better streamlining. If there isn't enough stretch, consider cutting the appropriate sleeve off. Clearly once you've done that there's no going back.

I know a couple of bulky swimmers who have shortened the sleeves and legs of their suits to tailor them better. Easy enough to do with a pair of scissors. My limited experience of brands is that even the same makers are not always consistent. I've got an Orca Kaisei which seems to be fairly generous and an Orca S3 which is less so. Try before you buy would be my recommendation.
May 2013
12:59pm, 23 May 2013
57 posts
  •  
Aspen
See Angus Clydesdales comments about fit/DIY tailoring and the need to try before you buy.

Then get one made to measure from Snugg. If you need something that'll ley you fit your arm inside they can probably design it that way from the outset.....
May 2013
9:05am, 24 May 2013
7014 posts
  •  
richmac
Ohh yeah i assumed everyone knew!, how arrogant, sorry.

yeah with the arm I worry that as it's 'floppy' putting it in a wet suit sleeve would take forever and pulling a snug wet suit off would dislocate it at the shoulder, which smarts ;-)

I like the idea of buying one thats long in the leg & arm to get the extra around the chest and 'trimming' down the long legs, great tip guys.
May 2013
12:59pm, 24 May 2013
509 posts
  •  
More of a Tortoise
I appreciate the advice too peeps :)

About This Thread

Maintained by richmac
My fetch friends, as I'm embarking on on my open water swim Tri 'career' I need to buy a wet suit...