Unable to edit training type

2 watchers
Oct 2019
7:59am, 18 Oct 2019
1,718 posts
  •  
Oranj
Has anyone else got this broken drop-down menu today?
Just one option in the training type drop-down - the training type that the file imported as:

Oct 2019
8:30am, 18 Oct 2019
4,966 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Seems to be ok for me. I don’t have a brand new piece of training to try it on though.
Oct 2019
8:30am, 18 Oct 2019
22,863 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Will sort it this AM. Question: had you ever filtered out the categories you don’t use, or did you have the full list of absolutely everything (inc. stuff like Ceilidh, Knitting, etc)
Oct 2019
9:02am, 18 Oct 2019
22,864 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I've had a chance to look at what's happened.

There are 208 different categories in our database - from 'Running - General' through to 'Cross Training - Jazzercise'. Right next to that category picker is an 'Edit your category list' link. Lots of folks have done that, and eliminated the ones they don't use. It looks like you (and probably lots of other users) have kept the whole list.

Until yesterday, the categories you'd excluded were stored in the database; but I've changed it so that it now actually stores the ones you've kept. This works fine for everyone who has filtered their list, but because you haven't, it's not giving you any options.

There's a quick fix - click 'Edit your category list' next to the category picker, and tick the options that you use. I will see whether I can help the folks who've never filtered their list, by auto-ticking every category they've used so far.

Why have I made these seemingly unnecessary changes?

There are lots of feature requests relating to the training categories. Feature #264 says "It'd be pleasant to be able to re-order the training log categories so that one's favourites appeared at the top of the list". And 102 of you voted for it. There are a few others that relate to the ordering and management of categories, like #184

By storing your chosen categories, rather than your excluded categories, I can assign a position number to them; therefore allowing the potential to adjust the order.

Longer term, I would like to amalgamate it all under a tagging system, so that you can put a training entry in multiple categories e.g. run, tempo, parkrun, raining, calf, sad. There's a bit of work to go before we get to that point :-)

Does that explain things?
Oct 2019
9:20am, 18 Oct 2019
1,719 posts
  •  
Oranj
Hi, thanks for that explanation. I'd never realised it was possible to edit the list of training categories - I just always scroll down the list to the one I want but I'll have go at editing it down to the ones I use.
Oct 2019
9:22am, 18 Oct 2019
1,720 posts
  •  
Oranj
Just had a look at the list - it already seems to be filtered on the ones I've used previously now, so that's OK. Thanks!
Oct 2019
9:31am, 18 Oct 2019
22,865 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Yep, I've added a bit of code - if it doesn't find any categories for you, it takes a look through the categories you've already used, and sets those up for you.
Oct 2019
9:33am, 18 Oct 2019
1,721 posts
  •  
Oranj
Kewl :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Oranj
Has anyone else got this broken drop-down menu today?
Just one option in the training type drop-dow...