Travelling with a bike

1 watcher
Jul 2013
5:56pm, 8 Jul 2013
61,899 posts
  •  
Hanneke
It has a couple of wheels but the handle is awkward for pulling it, so I attach a small strap to the front 'fixing' strap and pull it on that...
Jul 2013
6:00pm, 8 Jul 2013
4,851 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Hann, can I ask you what you did with it when you got to your destination? I.e. assuming you did some cycle touring or something - e.g. not stopping in a hotel - does it fold down/collapse into something a bit smaller that can then be stored somewhere - also useful for storage of it at home?
Jul 2013
6:06pm, 8 Jul 2013
61,900 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I kept it where I was staying, i.e. hotel/appartment/villa... You do need to make sure you book transport that can cater for a bike box at the other end... i.e. hire an estate car or book a taxi that can fit a bike box in the back...
Jul 2013
6:07pm, 8 Jul 2013
61,901 posts
  •  
Hanneke
When I am doing the Great Divide, I will ship the box from one airport to the other...
Jul 2013
6:18pm, 8 Jul 2013
20,378 posts
  •  
idio
Flown 6 times with my padded bag and will be flying again this Saturday with it and never had any damage to frame or wheels. Okay all the frames have been alloy but I bet a bog standard cheap carbon had thicker stronger tubes than my s-works had.
Jul 2013
8:56pm, 8 Jul 2013
16,567 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Excellent, thanks Hann. I dont like the idea of it resting on the base.
I will probably get one of those unless anybody else has an opinion???

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by JohnnyO
In September I am off to the Pyrenees to ride my push bike over the bumpy bits. I am flying there wi...