Travelling with a bike

1 watcher
Jul 2013
4:24pm, 8 Jul 2013
16,561 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
In September I am off to the Pyrenees to ride my push bike over the bumpy bits. I am flying there with the most budget of budget airlines.
I have never travelled with a bike other than to throw it in the boot of the car, and I have no experience of hard shells, padded bags, or cardboard boxes.

Its a carbon bike (relevant as many have suggested they would never use a soft bag with a carbon frame).
I am aware of rental options, but at £50 for the week (plus a penalty as I would never be able to get it back on the monday) plus upto £30 postage, coughing up and buying one appears to be a cheaper option if I were ever to do something similar again, which I might.

The internet is full of expensive devices and advice of unknown provenance, so I thought I would gather a bit more.
Hard case?
Soft bag?
Soft bag with hard bits for the drop-outs and bottom bracket?
Big cardboard box and a bit of pipe cladding from the LBS?
Jul 2013
5:44pm, 8 Jul 2013
16,565 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Bump
Jul 2013
5:46pm, 8 Jul 2013
10,463 posts
  •  
What The Actual Fleecy
V'Rap and ElBee took their bikes on a plane not that long ago, I'm sure she blogged about it.
Jul 2013
5:49pm, 8 Jul 2013
18,727 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
We haven't yet, but we got these as a cost/security compromise

chainreactioncycles.com

Hanneke has used one a lot, with no bike damage issues
Jul 2013
5:49pm, 8 Jul 2013
61,895 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I have a Polaris bike pod. It is a semi-rigid case. I have used it a lot and it has always been fine. I have only used it with my road bike so far, but have been assured my MTB will fit in it as well...

Well worth the investment in my opinion!

Shop around, there are often offers on... chainreactioncycles.com
Jul 2013
5:50pm, 8 Jul 2013
18,728 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
Oh - and I'm getting extra packing foam as well - but that's really cheap :)
Jul 2013
5:50pm, 8 Jul 2013
61,896 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Hahaha, now that is brilliant simultaneous posting Mr Bee :)

P.S. I got mine second hand off a mate who decided it was uncool and he bought a bag,' like all the pro's'... He came to regret it, as his carbon race machine arrived damaged while my bike came out of its pod unscathed :)
Jul 2013
5:52pm, 8 Jul 2013
61,897 posts
  •  
Hanneke
As eL Bee says: to be on the safe side I also wrap the bike in pipe lagging and big bubble wrap around the rear mech, which I always leave on... You can as a precaution also use spacers between your front forks, so they cannot be compressed, as the case is semi-rigid... I haven't yet though and mine have been absolutely fine.
Jul 2013
5:53pm, 8 Jul 2013
16,566 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
That is the one I have been thinking of. I have seen it for £203.

What is the 'base' like? Are there any actual fixation points there?
I think I need to demolish some old wheels so that I have something to stop the dropouts just resting on the bottom.
Jul 2013
5:55pm, 8 Jul 2013
61,898 posts
  •  
Hanneke
You take the wheels off Johnny, and screw them into the lid with skewers. Use the skewers provided, as this is its only weak point: I have had a bent skewer once... Had to streighten it with plyers to get it out...

The frame hangs into the pod, so it doesn't actually touch the bottom... there are two straps on the top and one on the bottom for fixing it.

About This Thread

Maintained by JohnnyO
In September I am off to the Pyrenees to ride my push bike over the bumpy bits. I am flying there wi...