Tom Tom multisport/runner

3 watchers
Sep 2014
3:35pm, 25 Sep 2014
14,690 posts
  •  
hellen
Hi
I am looking for a watch which will do the following, I think Tom Tom will but struggled to get a response when I phoned as it was a foreign call centre and they didn't seem to understand me......

I am doing an indoor track race. Obviously GPS is not going to be any good and I don't want a footpod because I am going to slow down drastically so was wanting to tell the watch the size of my lap then press the lap button each lap.
I would then like to see on the screen my distance (which the watch ought to beable to calculate from knowing the lap size) and my av pace.

Does anyone know if Tom tom can do this or if not can another watch?

Thanks
Sep 2014
4:40pm, 25 Sep 2014
253 posts
  •  
southcoastclaret
Don't know of any watch that will do it (may well exist, but I don't know of one). However, the maths involved should be pretty straightforward, and working it out will take away the boredom of keep running round a track.

You could go oldschool and do a spreadsheet to work out times at different lap numbers for different paces, and then print them out as a wristband and laminate it.
Sep 2014
4:53pm, 25 Sep 2014
14,691 posts
  •  
hellen
S we are talking about running around a 545m track for 24 hours !!!
Sep 2014
10:01pm, 25 Sep 2014
14,692 posts
  •  
hellen
Bump
Sep 2014
10:13pm, 25 Sep 2014
146 posts
  •  
nuttyficket
Sounds an unusual requirement, hellen - you'd need a watch that lets you input how long each lap is, for a start (545m is a bit non-standard!). Technically, you can make a Suunto Ambit do exactly what you want, but not trivially. It's also expensive (£300 or more) and does *way* more than you actually need - could you borrow one? Maybe there is an alternative, but like southcoastclaret, I don't know of one.

I'd go back to maths. For a 24 hour race, do you need to know your pace every lap? Or could you work out your pace using a mobile phone calculator, say, once an hour - while taking on food or whatever?
Sep 2014
10:23pm, 25 Sep 2014
147 posts
  •  
nuttyficket
I'm just reading the manual for that Tom Tom Multisport watch (a thrilling night in the nuttyficket household, obviously).

The watch does let you set the size of the swimming pool, so if it allows a pool big enough, you should be able to set that to 545m. However, it doesn't appear to use a manual lap button to count laps while swimming, but rather determines lap by the number of "turns" in the pool, which it works out from an internal sensor in the watch - so I don't think it's going to work for your track race.
Sep 2014
8:48am, 26 Sep 2014
14,693 posts
  •  
hellen
nutty, I saw the swimming thing but it gives you a range for the lap, cant remember what but 545m was too far.

If all else fails then yes will have to do some sort of pace band for how far x laps is. Already have a pace band saying where I ought to be each hour so could work out the distance for every 20 laps.

I like the av pace early on as I know where I am them ie if I am going at 10mm I know I need to speed up if 8mm I need to slow down!
Sep 2014
8:57am, 26 Sep 2014
655 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
A quick google turns this up -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jklfamily.mobile.app.free.lapcounter&hl=en_GB.

Scrap that it uses GPS - how about this -

play.google.com

Assuming you have an android phone... :)
Sep 2014
9:03am, 26 Sep 2014
14,694 posts
  •  
hellen
thanks mbln that is exactly what I want something on my wrist to do!

I have iphone though and as I am doing this as a serious run need it on my wrist so I can see it and not be fubling about to look. But if an app can do that surely a watch can!
Sep 2014
9:31am, 26 Sep 2014
656 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Watch battery wouldn't last long enough though hellen :( and garmins won't accept input when theyre charging so you could keep hitting lap..

About This Thread

Maintained by hellen
Hi
I am looking for a watch which will do the following, I think Tom Tom will but struggled to get ...