Treadmill

1 watcher
Jun 2017
10:37am, 24 Jun 2017
First-time poster!!
  •  
Clarek34
I accidentally had my Tom Tom sports watch set on treadmill when I went for my 7km run, I'm just wondering because I'm sure I had to run further than that before it said I had completed it, what would it have been measuring?
Jun 2017
12:43pm, 24 Jun 2017
1,524 posts
  •  
Sweetie
Welcome to Fetch Clarek34! :-)

I don't know about TomTom specifically but with my Garmin it works out your average pace when you do outdoor runs and then applies that average when you run on the treadmill, generally it is not too far off.

So rather than using GPS to accurately measure your run, TomTom presumably calculated the distance based on your normal average pace over the time you ran.
Jun 2017
6:58pm, 24 Jun 2017
4,513 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Actually, Garmins and TomTom you the inbuilt accelerometer to measure distance when there is no GPS. It works out your cadence and knows roughly what your stride length is at different arm swings. As Sweetie says it isn't too far off generally.
Jun 2017
7:20pm, 24 Jun 2017
2 posts
  •  
Clarek34
I must have really sucked then 😂

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Clarek34
I accidentally had my Tom Tom sports watch set on treadmill when I went for my 7km run, I'm jus...