The difference between strides and sprinting?

2 watchers
Jan 2014
8:33pm, 13 Jan 2014
50 posts
  •  
mjoyeux
I was just wondering if someone could explain the difference between sprinting and striding? When doing reps what should I be trying to do? What speed would I be aiming for? What type of form?

Thanks in advance!
Jan 2014
8:43pm, 13 Jan 2014
17,121 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Depends on which book you read, but generally these are full tilt, fast as you can for about 100-200m.
Concentrate on form and recover fully before the next rep.
Do about 10.
Jan 2014
9:13pm, 13 Jan 2014
4,897 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I'm a sprinter so I will try and answer. A race sprint ( anything between 60 and 400 meters) will be all out of course but most training reps are between 75 and 95 percent effort. Not that it's easy to be precise.

As a distance runner - I assume you are? - if you are asked to do strides then they are ALL about form, usually get progressively faster - but never eyeballs out which would defeat the purpose - to run fast holding good form, and to instill good movement patterns.

Actually I'm not entirely clear what you are asking - about strides or sprints?
Jan 2014
9:54pm, 13 Jan 2014
768 posts
  •  
old mum
Strides are where you lengthen your stride whilst going a bit faster than normal, sprint is where you aim for balls out speed. Strides mean you have to think a bit more about how you're running, not how fast you're running with your balls out.
Jan 2014
10:18pm, 13 Jan 2014
2,266 posts
  •  
Curly45
I always think the easiest way to explain strides (long distance runner ones) is as what the fast people do before the start of races. You know the ones who get into line literally seconds before the off. Yeah that.
Jan 2014
10:19pm, 13 Jan 2014
17,124 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
See, its different for everyone! :)
SPR
Jan 2014
10:23pm, 13 Jan 2014
18,996 posts
  •  
SPR
"relaxed sprints" as per glossary, or sprints for distance runners.

I don't differentiate between the two tbh. You need to stay relaxed and keep good form to sprint well so they are one and the same for me. Others may have different opinions.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by mjoyeux
I was just wondering if someone could explain the difference between sprinting and striding? When do...