should i try to see a physy before xmas?

1 watcher
Dec 2012
6:20pm, 15 Dec 2012
1,405 posts
  •  
Lyns
I ran an off-road duathlon on 3rd Dec, really icy and when not sheet ice, deep mud... I had a fall but didn't feel anything wrong in my legs or feet at the time. I didn't run much afterwards (i mostly mountain bike) till 9th/10th when i did 5k each day and felt a tightness in my lower left calf.. didn't think anything of it, was fine afterwards.

Went out for a run today and after about 1.5km felt a tightness, turned to go up hill and was stuffed with cramping - initial pain had been my soleus, but now it was the big bulgy muscle too... I stretched and then walked up the hill, jogged down the other side (no pain downhill) but then had to walk the flat bit back home. That was 11am ish today - still in pain, can't really walk :-(

Question is, should I see if the physy is around next week? Or should I just rest and self-treat? and if so, treat how?

I used my massage thingy on it when i first got back today as it felt like cramp... I think it helped. I have a heat/buzzy massage thingy, a foam roller, ice and heat options...
Dec 2012
6:53pm, 15 Dec 2012
6,385 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Sorry to hear this, Lyns! :-( No advice from my side, I'm afraid, as wouldn't know myself, but just wanted to say that I hope you'll feel better soon!

(I'm in a similar boat - still able to walk, luckily, but knee has been giving me gip for almost 5 weeks now and is getting worse instead of better, so haven't run in 2 weeks when I had been planning a lot of running over the holidays. Alas, my physio is off sick...)
Dec 2012
7:23pm, 15 Dec 2012
1,196 posts
  •  
Lisa T
I'd go for physio. Mine always makes massive improvements to my calf/achilles/feet/tendon/etc/etc problems with a bit of massage & ultrasound. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.
Dec 2012
11:27am, 16 Dec 2012
1,406 posts
  •  
Lyns
Thanks spicy and sorry to hear about your knee :(
I was hoping to parkrun next weekend but no chance now. Can walk today but the calf feels like a guitar string that could go at any moment.

Might have to take to the bike over the holidays - I think it's probably too soon for the phys to do anything.
Dec 2012
11:43am, 16 Dec 2012
996 posts
  •  
wiener dog
I have had various calf tightness issues - I do see a physio and I know it sounds odd but often when I see her the problem with my calf is discovered to be coming from much higher up ( in my case a tight piriformus muscle and tight hamstrings ) may not be the case for you, but stretching and massage of the piriformus and hamstrings always seems to fix it very quickly too. However calf stretches seem to make it worse and just cramp my calf up more as does ice, ut heat also seems to help. Dunno if this will hlp but it's worth a shot?
Dec 2012
12:22pm, 16 Dec 2012
1,407 posts
  •  
Lyns
Thanks, that's helpful and probably right. I have a couple of yoga classes booked next week and will concentrate on overall stretching.
Dec 2012
4:09pm, 18 Dec 2012
1,408 posts
  •  
Lyns
physy seen...

got bright pink tape on, been massaged and ultrasounded... got to hold off the running for 10 days, strength training and stretching after 3/4 days... off hill running for longer...

but the pink tape feels good - really supportive..
Dec 2012
4:47pm, 18 Dec 2012
999 posts
  •  
wiener dog
Yes the tape is good - I remember thinking 'this tape is not going to do anything' when my physio first used it but I have to admit I was wrong and it really works.

Glad you are getting it sorted :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
I ran an off-road duathlon on 3rd Dec, really icy and when not sheet ice, deep mud... I had a fall b...