Scott Trail Rocket

1 watcher
Jul 2014
6:48pm, 1 Jul 2014
637 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Has anyone tried the Scott Trail Rocket - it's a lovely shoe, but I trashed the first pair after only 50 miles.... The replacements are looking like they'll go the same way, with noticeable damage after 35 miles.

Am I just too lardy (12st), or clumsy footed for such an elegant shoe? Or is it secretly made of cream cheese?
Also any suggestions for a 'similar' shoe (4mm drop, 9 ounces, medium to firm cushion) - I quite like the Salomon Sense Mantra, but it's a little too firm for anything over mara distance.
Thanks in advance.
Jul 2014
3:22pm, 2 Jul 2014
837 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Agree that the Mantra is too firm, don't like mine at all.

Have you looked at the Nike Zoom Wildhorse - 4mm drop, 8.4 oz runningwarehouse.com

A lot of people have an aversion to Nike based on their road shoe range, but this shoe ( and the sister shoe, the Kiger ) get great reviews by experienced trail runners.

I picked up a pair for £43 in a Nike discount store, only worn them once, but feel great so far
Jul 2014
4:58pm, 2 Jul 2014
639 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Thanks K5 gus.
I've seen them, and dismissed them - as you say Nike don't have the best reputation. I'll see if I can find a pair to try, and check out some reviews.
Jul 2014
5:25pm, 2 Jul 2014
889 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I'm going to look at those Nikes tomorrow. They've had really good reviews. I've already rejected the Mantra and the Scott - didn't fit me.

There is also the NB Leadville, but that is heavier and has 8mm drop. They looked good, but didn't fit me either.
Jul 2014
5:49pm, 2 Jul 2014
640 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Yeah I hated the Leadville - I wanted them to be good, but the fit was all wrong and they felt really stacked up.

Having a quick look through some reviews, the runningwarehouse blurb says the wildhorse has a high arch - Could you confirm K5?

Might also have a look at the Pearl Izumi N2 - ref'd in the comments on irunfar.
Jul 2014
6:05pm, 2 Jul 2014
840 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I've got a medium foot arch, I find it very comfortable. The insole is not flat ( like eg an Inov8 ), there is some shape to it, but depending on your feet, I wouldn't say excessive - if you were flat footed it might be a bit too much.
I often swap insoles around from shoes to find the best fit/feel.

The NB 1010v2 was another on my list of possibles, but never got round to trying it runningwarehouse.com
Jul 2014
8:50pm, 2 Jul 2014
641 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
I've pondered the NB too, but I understand they are discontinuing it - no point getting friendly with a shoe that you can't buy anymore...
Scrap the PI N2, it's 10mm drop
Jul 2014
7:18pm, 3 Jul 2014
890 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I bought the Kigers; a bit less structure than the Wildhorses. So far (about 200M) so good...

They fit like slippers. They look like they might not last long though.
Jul 2014
8:21pm, 3 Jul 2014
643 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
It's hard to tell from the photos that I've seen, but does it have much outsole? Haven't managed to find any locally yet, might try and get to the Nike store in London tomorrow for a quick shufty.
Jul 2014
8:31pm, 3 Jul 2014
843 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Nice one jacdaw, zoom unit in the forefoot as well I think for the Kiger, as opposed to just in the heel for the Wildhorse.

Outsole is pretty decent - not as deep lugs as Inov8 Roclite, about the same as Inov8 Trailroc, if you know what they are like

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Has anyone tried the Scott Trail Rocket - it's a lovely shoe, but I trashed the first pair after on...