Running club websites

2 watchers
Nov 2021
1:49pm, 22 Nov 2021
8,917 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Thanks Mushroom, I’ll take a look at that.
Nov 2021
1:56pm, 22 Nov 2021
8,918 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
My other question is, what other jobs would the person looking after the website need to do. Things I can think of are managing email addresses and permissions to update the website, maybe making sure the hosting fees are paid?
Nov 2021
2:06pm, 22 Nov 2021
110 posts
  •  
olde english
hola...started up a running club from scratch in march including website etc...www.youlgraveharriers.com. Just sits on google and cost me £10 in total as i bought the youlgrave domain, but didnt need to do that. It is sort of what i do for living but anybody can get the structure knocked up in 30 mins. It wont do anything fancy but obviously links well with all things google, so with some creative thinking you can cover off, databases for results, fixtures, club records etc etc. Mine doesnt need that yet but is all ready to go in the background as i designed the background stuff for my other running club ie already built.
The time consuming bit is filling it up with stuff. As for jobs with the website its a case of assigning content to people, as that is what eats into your time the IT aspect is really simple now days.
Nov 2021
2:09pm, 22 Nov 2021
111 posts
  •  
olde english
ps by sits on google i mean google sites..as its free and i like free.
Nov 2021
2:12pm, 22 Nov 2021
8,919 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I hadn’t heard of Google Sites, something else to look at. Thanks!
Feb 2022
11:22am, 7 Feb 2022
96 posts
  •  
roflaherty
Hey Fragile Do Not Bend my two cents, if it helps.

The main question I would ask now is if you need a website? For example, my club hosts its own race, weekly newsletter and a gallery. That's the biggest draw to the site. Even the newsletter was only web based because we did fancy tables with results and rotating image selections. Our site is WordPress.

If you have none of these - might it be worth a domain that links to your socials for people to find out information.

We invested in Member Mojo for managing our club membership list. With their virtual shop, it makes a lot of what we did use the site for now redundant.

One extra thing we did do was setup a club gmail account - basically a bucket where all club e-mails go. Anyone on the committee can access and this means that anyone can take over if anyone steps back. Also, we moved our website gallery to Google Photos so reducing the footprint of the website further.

Feel free to ask any further questions!
Feb 2022
2:55pm, 7 Feb 2022
9,221 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I think we are all sorted now, but thanks!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Fragile Do Not Bend
Does anyone here have experience in setting up and managing a simple running club website (or similar), and if so would I be able to pick your brains please? Thanks!