Running club websites

2 watchers
Nov 2021
8:46am, 22 Nov 2021
8,913 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Does anyone here have experience in setting up and managing a simple running club website (or similar), and if so would I be able to pick your brains please? Thanks!
Nov 2021
9:18am, 22 Nov 2021
2,009 posts
  •  
Mushroom
I revamped my club site earlier this year - without much technical knowledge.

But I did use a website builder 'Wix', which made things fairly straight forward as it leads you through the process.

I may not be able to answer if it it's anything too techy!
Nov 2021
10:26am, 22 Nov 2021
21,500 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I was involved in the set up of a club website a while ago. I've also got access to the back end of my parkrun's Wordpress site and run a simple Wordpress site for the marathon I organise. Happy to help if you need.
Nov 2021
12:11pm, 22 Nov 2021
7,601 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I've toyed with the idea of a website too. Our race has been linked to another site which has constantly been changed over the years so that the race is either removed in error or very much out of date.

Out of curiosity, what are the costs for Wix and Wordpress.
Nov 2021
12:20pm, 22 Nov 2021
2,011 posts
  •  
Mushroom
I think Wix had a deal - it was about £80 for 2 years.

On top of that you pay for the domain name registration. Doesn't have to be with Wix, could leave it with your existing provider.
Nov 2021
12:42pm, 22 Nov 2021
8,914 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Thanks folks. My knowledge of this sort of thing is a couple of decades out of date and limited to some amateur playing around with HTML :)

You’ve sort of answered one of my questions already, which is how does one actually create web pages nowadays, I thought there must be tools around for this rather than writing everything from scratch.

Is it easy enough for someone with a bit of knowledge to use these tools or would it be better paying someone to get it set up initially then just amending the content ourselves?
Nov 2021
1:08pm, 22 Nov 2021
13,737 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Maybe put out an email to members of your club as there maybe someone with the expertise to help?
Nov 2021
1:15pm, 22 Nov 2021
8,915 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
We might well do that Ultracat, but I’d like to understand what’s involved before our committee meeting and I knew there’d be people on here who know their stuff :)
Nov 2021
1:35pm, 22 Nov 2021
2,012 posts
  •  
Mushroom
I started from a point of little knowledge, but having used a little Wordpress many years ago.

However, it's very much easier with the tools nowadays. Wix is only one, but there are others. All very easy to rearrange pages, add links, photos, make updates etc.
Nov 2021
1:44pm, 22 Nov 2021
2,013 posts
  •  
Mushroom
To follow on, if I remember correctly, there is no cost to just go ahead and build one.

You can have a go yourself using one of the tools - they give you the website space free and you can see how it looks and feels. You'll get some domain space like www.Wix.YourClubname.org.

The charges only came when I wanted to transfer it over to our own web domain and to add some of the additional features that helped to make it more user friendly.

About This Thread

Maintained by Fragile Do Not Bend
Does anyone here have experience in setting up and managing a simple running club website (or similar), and if so would I be able to pick your brains please? Thanks!