Run/Walking a Marathon - Training strategy - Help please

1 watcher
May 2017
5:08pm, 31 May 2017
2,133 posts
  •  
Tim of MK
I'm thinking of run/walking a marathon in the Autumn, using a 5:1 strategy.

Do I run/walk all of my training programme too? Or do I train using a mix of runs and run/walks?
May 2017
5:33pm, 31 May 2017
2,160 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Never done any run/walk myself Tim, but ask your question on the main run/walk thread and you'll hopefully get some pointers on there http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=56059
May 2017
6:28pm, 31 May 2017
12,993 posts
  •  
mulbs
Hi Tim

I've run/walked pretty much all of my training for the last couple of years (the exceptions being a half marathon where I was just having too much fun to walk so didn't and the odd parkrun). I marathoned this weekend, intending to run/walk all of it and pretty much did (first three miles I treated like a parkrun, I never go fast anyway) and then run/walked a pretty strict 4 mins run 50 sec walk for the rest of it except for a few bits where I missed the odd walk break just due to geography getting in the way or added a longer one in while my running buddy nipped to the loo. The hardest thing is dealing with spectators' perceptions that you're walking because you're struggling or just a bit crap. I've done a couple of tame ultras in the same way.

Good luck with whatever you decide -- which marathon are you aiming for?
May 2017
6:57pm, 31 May 2017
2,134 posts
  •  
Tim of MK
I'd find 4 mins run / 50 secs walk too complicated. But glad it works for you.

Today, I ran for 5 minutes and walked for 1 minute (taking my walk breaks at 6, 12, 18,24, 30 mins etc). It was OK ish - I did a quarter-marathon in an hour.

Whether I'll be able to stick to this pace over longer distances remains to be seen.

Berlin is the possible target in late September. But very much a 'maybe'.
May 2017
7:38pm, 31 May 2017
7,571 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Hi Tim, think I might remember you from the old RW forums :-)

I've done run-walk marathons in the past. When I was training I did some of the shorter runs with no walk breaks. But I always did my long runs with the breaks as I planned to run the marathon. I started off with run 5/walk 1 but ended up extending it a bit. When it came to the races I found it easier to use the distance markers. For my first marathon I took a 1-2 min break every mile. It's also much easier to take your drinks during the walk breaks.

Good luck!
May 2017
9:33pm, 31 May 2017
53 posts
  •  
tricialitt
I did my first marathon with a 30 sec walk break at each mile marker initially, then 1 minute at each mile marker as time went on. By far the most difficult thing to deal with is the reaction of fellow runners and spectators to the fact that you are walking after just a mile!- You spend a lot of time explainig that it's all part of a plan.
I managed 4hr 20 for the race. I tried to make sure I looked over my shoulder, and pulled in to the side before slowing to walk. I agree with LN- do your shorter, faster trainig runs with no walk breaks if you can, but do the LSR's with walk breaks.
Jun 2017
10:55am, 2 Jun 2017
2,135 posts
  •  
Tim of MK
I might try 4:1 this weekend. I've only a low-tech stopwatch and it would be very simple to stop fora minute's walk at each five minute point.
Jun 2017
11:14am, 2 Jun 2017
12,607 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
4:1 is my favourite. It is worth experimenting to see what ratios fit your rhythm best.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Tim of Fife
I'm thinking of run/walking a marathon in the Autumn, using a 5:1 strategy.

Do I run/walk al...