Returning to running - question re: knee

1 watcher
Jul 2017
7:44pm, 7 Jul 2017
2 posts
  •  
Mushypeas
I dislocated my knee 20 years ago. In the years following, I found I could do one 10k run a week and be fine but more than that and I had some issues. But it is also true that I used to go from 0km, to my first run being 10km, and so I wasn't really building up properly. And I was trying to go too fast too soon. I got knee pains and had scans etc. The consultants basically said that I could try orthotics but I should also do cycling to build up the muscles around my knee to help do the job of the ligaments.

In the end, I just transferred to cycling and have probably only done 4 runs in the last 5 years and none for the last 2 and a half. I've done a huge amount of cycling however

My daughter has taken up running (aged 8) at school and so I'd like to go with her for a few runs. That will be short distances and a slow pace but I figured I might start doing a few runs myself too

I have my original trainers (with 290km use in them) and they were support trainers (my gait was analysed). My question is whether I should just start off slowly in these trainers and see how I go, looking into orthotics if a pain occurs. Or whether I'd be best off getting orthotics sorted now to prevent any pain in the first place?

Thanks in advance for any help
Jul 2017
3:39pm, 8 Jul 2017
5 posts
  •  
Mushypeas
Can anyone help?
Jul 2017
3:43pm, 8 Jul 2017
8,369 posts
  •  
Ness
I wish I could offer advice, Mushypeas, but sorry I don't know. Hope someone else can give some advice. Take care though.
Jul 2017
3:55pm, 8 Jul 2017
5,155 posts
  •  
Wobbling
Go out and run on trail and grass for a bit and see if that aggravates your knee. If it does, new shoes may help (the materials in trainers do degrade over time) and if with new shoes and running on a softer surface you still have sore knees, then you may need othotics.

A visit to a sport specific physio might also give you a bit more insight and give you some exercises to help.
Jul 2017
5:35pm, 8 Jul 2017
6 posts
  •  
Mushypeas
Thanks Wobbling. I shall do that. My shoes haven't got too many miles in them yet and I am trying to be really sensible.

I can cycle 120km at a pretty quick pace so my cardio fitness is there but running uses entirely different muscles. I jogged one mile yesterday (just to pick my son up from school) at a reasonably slow pace. Felt easy at the time but today my leg muscles just from that one mile are mildly sore (really light DOMS) so it does show that it takes time for the running muscles to awaken and strengthen.

Have done nothign today but plan to cycle tomorrow and may then do 3km with my daughter in the evening (so very slow pace). PLanning to keep distance below 3km for first couple of weeks and keep it slow until the muscles strengthen
Jul 2017
5:35pm, 8 Jul 2017
7 posts
  •  
Mushypeas
Thanks Wobbling. I shall do that. My shoes haven't got too many miles in them yet and I am trying to be really sensible.

I can cycle 120km at a pretty quick pace so my cardio fitness is there but running uses entirely different muscles. I jogged one mile yesterday (just to pick my son up from school) at a reasonably slow pace. Felt easy at the time but today my leg muscles just from that one mile are mildly sore (really light DOMS) so it does show that it takes time for the running muscles to awaken and strengthen.

Have done nothign today but plan to cycle tomorrow and may then do 3km with my daughter in the evening (so very slow pace). PLanning to keep distance below 3km for first couple of weeks and keep it slow until the muscles strengthen

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I dislocated my knee 20 years ago. In the years following, I found I could do one 10k run a week and...