How long to train for a half-marathon when not starting from scratch

1 watcher
Apr 2021
5:06pm, 1 Apr 2021
4,158 posts
  •  
Kieren
So most half-marathon plans are 12 -18 weeks.

I've just finished an 18 week marathon plan (with some adaptions) to build up my base / durability.

I have 25 weeks until my half-marathon and wanted to get some speed in the middle, with a slightly lower weekly mileage and more pace variation. I've planned 12 weeks of 5K training, 1 week active recovery leaving 12 weeks including taper for the half-marathon.

Is there any guidance or good practice to working out how much time I might need to prep for the race? I am thinking I might be tempted to extend my 5K training window if that training does well.
Apr 2021
9:26am, 2 Apr 2021
16,437 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Would your 5k training still include a weekly longer run? For me the time on feet element of half marathon training is critical or I literally run out of steam.
Apr 2021
10:49am, 2 Apr 2021
4,159 posts
  •  
Kieren
Yes to long run but at easy pace. There is not much tempo running in the plan - at least the 1st 6 weeks (I haven't plotted the rest).

I use the vdot calculator and a regular 5K time trial to guide my training paces: runsmartproject.com

Training looks like this:

Long runs are at "easy" pace but I might (depending how I recover) alternate between easy and marathon pace weekly.

Just curious if I need to be doing long tempo runs and for how long. I do want to PB at HM but am probably in shape to scrape that now.
Apr 2021
4:18pm, 3 Apr 2021
16,447 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Interesting. I think I probably would include some tempo personally - at a push I suppose you could do one or two fast finish long runs?
Apr 2021
8:33pm, 7 Apr 2021
4,162 posts
  •  
Kieren
Thanks. I have decided I am going to extend the 5K block from 8 weeks to 16 weeks, till mid July.

That will then give me 10 weeks including taper for the half marathon.

My main goal is to lifetime PB at the half-marathon but I honestly thing I could probably do that right now. The training will just make me more confident.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
If you are already running frequently how long do you need to train for a half-marathon